The New Teacher

(Merida)

Frost, Elsa and I were in the Great Hall, eating breakfast. There was no sign of Rapunzel or Hiccup anywhere.

I glanced at the giant hourglass on the wall, above the teacher's table. It wasn't like Hiccup to be late for breakfast, and I desperately needed his Transfiguration homework before the gong sounded for class.

Frost and I had learnt that Hiccup was a very dependable source for all sort of school-related stuff, like homework, spell tutoring or even late-evening study sessions before a big pop quiz. And sometimes, if he was in a good mood, he'd even do your homework for you. There was no doubt that Hiccup was the smartest guy in the class, and the best part was that he was our friend.

"Where's Hiccup?" I asked Frost, over a mouthful of scrambled eggs. "I need his Transfiguration homework."

Frost shrugged. "No idea," he said, reaching for the eggs in my plate, to which I promptly slapped his hand. "And where's Rapunzel?"

"Oh, she was combing her hair in the dorm when I woke up this morning," piped up Elsa. She took a sip of her milk, then said, "And I don't know what he was doing there, but I saw Hiccup near Hagrid's hut this morning."

Elsa had stopped wearing her gloves a couple of days ago, when she mysteriously disappeared during the entire lunch hour. This was certainly an improvement, because the lass seemed more talkative and smiley these days.

"Hagrid's hut?" I repeated, confused. "What would Hiccup be doing near Hagrid's hut?"

Then I remembered the first Care of Magical Creatures class. Crap. Astrid.

"Oh crap," I muttered. "He must have. . .ah. . ."

"What?" said Frost, as several owls landed before him, all loaded with fan mail. Frost received a lot of mail every morning, all from adoring fans, most of them female. I wasn't particularly thrilled about all those owls landing in my porridge everyday, but whatever.

"Nothing," I replied, as I opened one of the letters. Telling them about Astrid might not be the best idea, since Frost and Elsa would probably try to encourage him into it.

Besides, I had just spotted Astrid sitting at the next table with a couple of older Gryffindor boys. So Hiccup hadn't gone to see her. Then where was he?

"Oh, listen to this one," I said, excited, as I finished reading his letter. I cleared my throat and began, in the sappiest voice I could, "Dear Jack: Your eyes shine like the moon on a full moon's night. Your face is as beautiful as the first flower of spring. And when you smile, you light up my world. I've watched you sleep at night, your--- "

Tfoo! Frost spit out his milk, and it landed on my face. Elsa giggled. I suppressed the urge to choke-slam him into the ground, because it wasn't really his fault.

"And this," said Frost, as I wiped my face with a napkin. "Hi Jack OMG you are sooo cool I love love love you and you are the bestest you are my faverit garden xoxoxo."

I snorted in amusement, and handed Elsa one of the letters. "Wanna take this one?"

"Um," said Elsa, turning scarlet. "No, I-- no thanks."

"Alright," I said. I quickly read the letter, and burst out laughing.

"What's so funny?" said Hiccup.

"You?" I spluttered. "When did you get here?"

"Uh, I've been sitting here for a while," said Hiccup, scarfing eggs down his throat like a starving beast.

"No you haven't, " I said, in disbelief. "You've been down to Hagrid's hut!"

"How did you find out?" he narrowed his eyes at me.