e l e v e n

BAD BITCH
these were the women who knitted pain into glory

11. Team Pep Talk

 Team Pep Talk

January 2017

Where the fuck is the birdman?
All eyes immediately go to Clint Barton; who was desperately trying to hide behind Natasha from the scary lady at the front. He presumed she was talking about him, a pang of sobered anger at being referred to as such, but didn't dare have the guts to speak up at all. He watches as her eyes fleet over his head before looking him dead in the eyes. He swears his soul went cold just from Svetlana's annoyed gaze.
You're not black.
Svetlana grumbles but only seems to get exasperated as Clint responds. She honestly didn't have time to take the fucking register but the lack of diversity was obvious so it was easy for her to identify someone as missing when they were, in fact, black.
No, um, I'm not.
Svetlana rolls her eyes before barking out the name of the man missing. Sam Wilson seemed to finally ring a few bells in their heads and they all let out noises of realisation. Svetlana had returned to the Avengers Compound merely three days after their last meeting, the one which lead to her conversing with Directer Fury, and had instantly gotten down to finding Barnes. Svetlana knew that the quicker they found him, no matter where he was, would instigate how fucked up his mental state would be. The team had not seemed pleased at her arrival, each one of them avoiding eye contact most of the debrief, but hadn't voiced any complaints as Svetlana had come with a sleek black briefcase filled with documents that they needed desperately.

It had been a pain in her arse to retrieve them. The moment she'd left the safety of the Director's Office, the woman had known exactly what she needed in order to quickly locate the man. Unfortunately, those papers hadn't been a simple retrieval mission. They'd been sitting inside Madame Hydra's residence for a few years, Svetlana had always been vaguely aware of their existence but hadn't had the energy to steal them, and she'd had to of been more ruthless than she usually was in order to get them. She'd left the other woman alive, Madame Hydra had never been a problem for her beforehand, which could only be seen as the Viper owing a debt to Svetlana. Smirnov hoped that, in the near future, the woman would repay the favour as they were sure to be sent in Hydra's direction to find Bucky.

He's not here.
Steve confirms and Svetlana only stares at him blankly for a few seconds. She refrains from choking the man for his stupidity but clenches her fists a few times to let her anguish out. The whole group seemed to be sent from whatever deity there was above them just to test her patience. They'd refused to engage in conversation, even when it was necessary, out of fear of her reactions which had been enjoyable to begin with but had only begun to annoy her further.
A silence purses after Steve's statement and he cringed away slightly as Svetlana basically screams 'how fucking idiotic are you?!' through her eyes.
Really? I thought he was - it's why I asked.
Svetlana quips drily which warrants Stark and Thor to snigger to themselves. Natasha sighs to herself, which Svetlana ignores completely, before muttering to Clint Barton in a hushed voice. She shouldn't be as bothered by the pairs obvious connection as she is but, no matter how hard she tries not to focus on it, her chest still burns with the familiar flame of jealousy.
I mean: he's helping S.H.I.E.L.D on another mission.
Narrowing her eyes on the file, Svetlana purses her lips. With the sort of espionage mission they'd be attempting to carry out, the team severely needed more eyes from above. Iron man, no matter how much she hated to admit it, was an absolute necessity within the groups dynamics but they simply didn't have enough people who could scan the terrain. If Tony was compromised, they would have to completely abandon their posts as the 'Vision' seemed to be elsewhere. Glaring into space for a while, mind whirling for alternative solutions, before drawing a blank. Svetlana leans over the table where they are all sat and gets into Steve's personal space by grabbing the front of his shirt and pulling him in close to her face.
Call him in now. I don't care how important his mission is; I need this man in with us if we're going to have a slither of chance of retrieving Barnes.
Steve looks slightly shocked but the woman has let go of him before he could protest. Everyone on the table is tense, not knowing what to expect,
Ma'am I can't just call him-
Svetlana stopped listening by that point.