t w e n t y t w o

BAD BITCH
these were the women who knitted pain into glory

22. Background Checks

 Background Checks

February 2017

Are you sure you wish for my presence, Lady Justice?
Already scared huh?
Svetlana smirks, seeing the look of prideful disagreement mask its way onto Thor's face, and pretends to be completely fine with seeing her mother. Natalia had offered to replace her space as interrogator upon hearing the Director give Svetlana orders, or the closest he could get, but the younger woman had been unmoved. She didn't want to see Madame B. In fact, Madame B was the closest living thing Svetlana could ever get to her past and she simply hated it. Everything about the woman made her want to kill everything in near proximity and was, frankly, tiring to be around as one must always be on high alert due to the woman's extreme manipulative tactics. No one could simply talk to Madame B. If anyone ever claimed to have had a civil conversation with the devil herself then Svetlana would place bets that Madame B had managed to weasel information out of the person somehow. You never noticed you'd slipped until she pounced.
And yet, Svetlana couldn't bring herself to let Natalia supervise the woman. The interrogation felt personal somehow; almost as though it was time for her to get the answers she'd wanted her whole life. If that was the case, Svetlana supposes that Thor was the wrong person to bring with her but she did have her reasons for allowing him to trail along.

The two hadn't spoken much. The man had attempted conversation but Svetlana had never been one for small talk so they'd never gotten past greetings. Out of the entire group, Thor was most likely the one she knew the least well but his constant happy aura and smiles seemed to even make Svetlana smile slightly nowadays and she supposed she'd need that more than anything after coming in contact with her mother.
Thor was just as confused when Svetlana had asked him, more timidly than she'd admit, if he'd accompany her to the S.H.I.E.L.D prisoner blocks but had agreed whole heartedly at seeing the earnest and pleading look on the assassins face. Svetlana, from simply a short five minute walk to the compound, already began to enjoy the man's presence. He talked. A lot. When he got onto a topic he was passionate about, which seemed to be anything but Svetlana learnt he was incredibly talkative about his home realm Asgard, he could talk for hours and it was exactly was Svetlana needed in order to not run in the opposite direction.
Natalia seemed hurt when she'd seen Thor join Svetlana to meet Madame B, perhaps she felt betrayed or as though she wasn't enough, but it wasn't enough for Svetlana to regret her choice just yet.

They'd both found the compound easily enough. The S.H.I.E.L.D operative team before them were still trying to work their magic on Madame B, Svetlana would simply be the last resort as no one could seem to get any information out of the woman, so the pair were escorted to a box room on the left wing of the building rather than the central clinic where Svetlana's mother was being imprisoned.
God, it filled Svetlana with satisfaction to hear 'imprisoned' and her 'mother' in the same sentence. She'd spent her childhood hating the woman. Even when she was knee height and she was supposed to unconditionally love the only parent she'd met before, only meeting her father when she reached eleven, she was filled with burning hatred. Even when she was too young to ever remember her thoughts, Svetlana remembers hating Madame B for the pain she caused. Svetlana could sit and remember every moment she wished she could kill her mother, those intense thoughts only came at nine years old, but she was finally getting her revenge so there was little point. Svetlana would finally see her mother crippled and broken.