Chapter 12

The three first years walk on their way home. Hinata and Kageyama have been talking about volleyball and foods while Yachi listens to them, making a forced laugh to show that she's happy. She thought about opening up to Hinata but she's not sure if it's really okay. She's been staring hard at the ground while walking, she didn't recognized that Kageyama already took another route. Hinata taps her on her shoulder to wake her up from her thoughts.

"H-huh? What?" She asked nervously.

Hinata stared at her for a moment then giggles. "Hey, are you alright? You've been quiet the whole time. Kageyama was saying goodbye but you were still walking."

Yachi flushed. She thought that it was a bit rude of her to ignore them. She apologized but Hinata said that she doesn't need to sweat it. She stood quietly, making an awkward smile when she decided to talk her problem to him. She grabs his wrist, her head hanging low and said in a low voice, "Hinata, I think you're the only one I can trust on this one. Can you please hear me out?"

Hinata doesn't understand what's happening but he slowly nods. "S-sure."

The two teenagers went to sit on a nearby bench with few people around. Hinata bought some meat buns and tries to give Yachi one but she said she's not hungry.

"Hinata," Yachi started. "I... I don't know what to do anymore." Her hands which are formed into fists on her knees are trembling. Warm liquids formed on the edge of her eyes. God, crying in front of him is really shameful. But she can't contain her emotions anymore. She just lets it fall on her cheek while sobs escape from her lips. "I-it hurts... why... does it have to be me...?"

Hinata's not really good with crying people, but it's not like it's the first time he saw her like this. Seeing her in this state really crushes his heart. He knows that she's going through a lot of problems so he wants to see her smile because of him. He wants her to forget her problems, even if just temporarily. She somehow become important to him so he treasures this friend of him beside him.

He pulls her closer to him and lets her cry on his chest. He kisses her head and his arm hugs her small body. They look like a couple in front of the people who can see them in that position. They stayed in that position for minutes, the girl inhaling the relaxing scent of the boy and the latter rubbing the other's back.

"Why?" The blonde-haired girl asked in a muffled voice.

"Hm?"

"Why are you so nice to me? I don't understand it. Everyone hates me but why are you this kind?"

"I guess when someone is special to you? And you're a friend, too, so it's just normal to be nice," answered Hinata.

Yachi parted from Hinata, his clothes now is wet. Yachi espied it and apologized to him for the second time.

"By the way, Hinata," she mumbles. "Thank you very much for all of the things you've done for me until now. I won't forget it," she said while wiping the tears on her cheek.

"What's with that? Are you going to go somewhere? It sounds like you're saying goodbye."

She just replied with a smile. Yachi stood up from the bench and told Hinata that they should go home now. She looks much better now so he agreed. No one talked as they head home.

"Hinata," Yachi said as they reached the road where they're supposed to part. "Goodbye."

"Bye," he replied, "See you tomorrow."

When Hinata was about to leave, Yachi hurriedly grabs his wrist. Hinata looks at her, puzzled.

"Um, there's also one thing," she shyly said without looking at him in the eyes. "I like you."

She runs away from him after saying that. Hinata, who was left addled, wondered what just happened.

Yachi abated her pace after she got a little farther from the boy she just confessed to. Her heart was beating fast. She felt successful. She was finally able to do the things she has to and she already know the answers to her questions. Now it's time. Stopping at the roadside, she took a deep breath. From her peripheral view is a car, running in a high speed. She steps on the road, then her other foot until she's in the middle of the road. There's no regretting this, she thought. She smiled bitterly, waiting for the car to hit her. She can hear the car approaching her rapidly.

Here it comes. Here it comes. Here it co-

She felt a strong push from her side which made her flying to the other roadside. Her face was about to hit the ground but shielded her head with her arms before she could land. It made a small thud as she fell on the ground. She gained few bruises on the impact and her body aches. She grunts in pain but what's more important to her now is to see who dares to shove her away. She tries to push herself from the ground and stand up. The people around are making a ruckus about something. The horns of the cars are blowing. She turns around and saw something dreadful. It was Hinata, laying on the ground. His orange hair is now covered with red blood. Half of his face is drenched in his own blood. He's body looks frozen in it's position, it's not moving.

Yachi felt like she just became deaf. Every noise around her disappeared. She felt weak but she still managed to walks closer to him. She kneels in front of him, her face turned pale as she looks at his face.

"I-is that you, Ya... chi-san?"

Yachi was stupefied to hear him speak. She can't hear anything but him. She leans closer to hear him better.

"I'm... glad you're o-okay. Y-you were... acting strange so... I followed you..." He croaked. He still can smile even in that condition. He slowly closes his eyes and his breathing stopped.

Yachi's eyes dilate. She shakes her head no. Even if she wants to cry, she already used it all earlier. The person who she only trusts, the person who always greets her in the morning, the person who makes her day complete, the person who is always there when she needs someone and the person she likes is already gone. She feels like she's turning insane.

"HINATAAA!"

ⓐⓝ

Aaaaannndd that's the end. Thanks for reading this book. I really appreciate your support.

I'm just kidding. There's still the epilogue.