☆Roommates ☆

The weeks following flowed rather nicely for Rantarou. He was able to get used to campus life and lived rather well with his roommate, Shuuichi. Over time, Rantarou even managed to get to know and befriend other people in the school such as Angie Yonaga and Korekiyo Shinguji, who were also in his international studies class, and Kaito Momota and Kokichi Ouma, the two that lived in the dorm next door. Though the only problems that Rantarou had were sometimes waking up to Kaito screaming at Kokichi for some sort of shenanigans. This was what taught Rantarou that this campus had paper for walls.

Shuuichi, on the other hand, was an amazing roommate. Shuuichi was always helpful to Rantarou. Whenever Rantarou was stressed, he was always there to care for him or assist him with things such as projects, regardless of their completely different courses. Shuuichi even took the time to care for the dorm. Even if he was still so bashful, Shuuichi was still extremely nice that sometimes Rantarou wondered what did he do to get a roommate like him.

Though there was one problem.

Shuuichi never let Rantarou repay favors. Whenever Shuuichi was struggling and Rantarou would offer help, Shuuichi would always either push him away and claim he can deal with it himself or try to change the topic around to Rantarou's well-being. Other than his rather exaggerated selfless nature, Shuuichi also had another weird habit. That was how overly protective he was regarding his hat and his room. He never allowed anyone to take off his hat and refused to let anyone barge into his room unless they specifically got his permission. When Rantarou asked him about it, he shook it off and managed to change the topic completely. But those things were just minor, they didn't completely affect Shuuichi as a person. Rantarou still appreciated him nonetheless, especially since this managed to relieve him from the possibility of his roommate being completely bothersome. 

"Goodmorning, Amami-kun." Shuuichi softly said when Rantarou emerged from his bedroom. "S-sorry, I'm not much of a cook so I just made coffee for the both of us." He added and Rantarou chuckled. "No, it's fine." He reassured and the two sat on the small dining table. It only had three seats. When Shuuichi drank from the mug, Rantarou noticed him scrunching up his face. "I can see you're not much of a coffee person, huh?" Rantarou said with a laugh. "I guess... I should buy tea later." Shuuichi noted, looking away from Rantarou and towards the door. 'You can worry about that later, it's a Saturday and we don't have classes till Tuesday." Rantarou said with another chuckle. Shuuichi was about to respond until they heard noises from the other dorm.

"DUDE, WHAT THE HELL?!" The booming of Kaito's annoyed voice could almost be heard in crystal clear quality due to the poor excuse of walls. They could also hear Kokichi's mischevious giggling. He probably pulled another piece of mischief on Kaito again. 'It's too early for this..." Rantarou groaned. "Amami-kun, it's only 9:00." Shuuichi replied. "Still too early for their nonsense." Rantarou replied, his voice muffled by the mug that he held to his lips. "Maybe I should talk to them later about it." Rantarou suggested and Shuuichi let out a small laugh. "I doubt it'll stop Ouma-kun." Shuuichi said. The weird feeling came again. In fact, his laugh amplified it. It was odd, Rantarou had no idea where it was all coming from and why. Why just Shuuichi? Maybe it's better if he just accepted it, it wasn't a harmful feeling or anything. It was rather pleasant actually. "Amami-kun, is something on your mind?" Shuuichi asked and Rantarou stopped the overthinking. "Nothing really, just an overboard of assignments." He said with a small laugh. "Do you need help?" Shuuichi offered but Rantarou shook his head. 'I'm going to hold it off until tomorrow." Rantarou added with a casual smile. "Okay, but p-please don't overwork yourself..." Shuuichi said gently with a concerned expression on his face. Rantarou nodded and looked at Shuuichi. He was still wearing his cap, why? Maybe he'll try asking about it again. "Oh yeah, Saihara." Rantarou said and Shuuichi looked at him, waiting for the question. 'Why are you still wearing your hat?" Rantarou asked and Shuuichi looked away. "I-it's nothing really..." Shuuichi quietly answered. "Are you sure?" Rantarou pressed and Shuuichi nodded. Rantarou decided that perhaps he shouldn't push him any further, he didn't want to make Shuuichi uncomfortable. 

"Ah, Amami-kun, do you have anything in mind for the weekend..? I'm thinking to go to the library to cram." Shuuichi asked and now it was Rantarou's time to worry. "You shouldn't overwork yourself either. It's fine to slack off here and there, y'know." Rantarou said. "No it's fine, I can handle it." Shuuichi reassured but Rantarou shook his head. "No, you're going to take it easy today! I'll make sure of it!" Rantarou scolded. Shuuichi laughed a little. "If you say so.." He said with his gentle smile. "Maybe we can find something to do today." Shuuichi suggested though nothing really came to mind, considering that there were very limited things to do on the campus. 

In the end, they just decided to take a walk around the exterior of the campus. It was at least pleasant compared to the cheap-looking dorms. The sun was bright and there was a light breeze. Small buds of flowers grew on the neatly trimmed shrubs around the school buildings. Trees were also conveniently grown to provide shade to resting or studying students. It was very refreshing and they had a good time with idle chatter, usually about their classmates or their professors. Like the one time Shuuichi's professor fell asleep halfway through the lecture and class had to end early that day. The overall experience was enjoyable, especially with the peaceful silence of the outdoors and the calm feeling that came with every smile and laugh from Shuuichi. However, when they went back to the dorms, Kokichi also happened to be walking by. Shuuichi avoided his gaze altogether but Kokichi stared at Shuuichi's direction as he walked. He had a small smirk on his face but it wasn't the childish and mischevious one. No, instead his smirk looked knowing and even a little malicious, as if he knew something no one else did. And the fear on Shuuichi's face looked like he was aware of it. When they returned to their dorm, Rantarou looked at Shuuichi who still looked a little shaken up. "Is everything alright?" Rantarou asked and Shuuichi gave a small, nervous smile.

"Y-yeah, it's fine. I had fun today."