☆Rest ☆

Rantarou felt stress starting to pile up on him. It's not like he was alone, everyone else seemed to slowly get stressed out. What is it to expect? This is college after all. This feeling shouldn't be new. Rantarou slugged out of his bedroom. It was a Saturday, what a relief. It seemed like it would be an eternity to finally reach those glorious three days of idleness. When he went to the living room, he saw Shuuichi up and awake, reading a book. He looked up at Rantarou and frowned.

"Amami-kun, did you sleep well last night?" He asked, walking up to Rantarou. "How long have you been up?" Rantarou asked instead, yawning. "Well, I'm normally an early riser but that's not the point...! Did you sleep well?" Shuuichi pressed on and Rantarou shook his head in defeat. "W-what were you doing all night?" Shuuichi asked. "Just work, I wanted to get it all done so I wouldn't have to do anything for the next three days." Rantarou groggily explained with another yawn. "A-are you sure you're feeling alright?" Shuuichi asked and Rantarou let out a casual laugh. "Oh I'm fine Saihara, you worry too much." He said, petting Shuuichi on the head. "Y-you know if you need to, I-I'll let you sleep on my lap aga-" "No! It's fine! Thank you though." Rantarou cut him off. He didn't want Shuuichi to push himself, especially with doing something that causes him fluster up. Shuuichi nodded in understanding. "Alright, but please let me know if you need help..." He said softly, his voice reeking of defeat.

Rantarou spent the rest of his day, well, relaxing and taking a break from everything else. He and Shuuichi also spent some time together usually by strolling outside, exchanging idle chatter, or watching some sort of sitcom until one of them got bored and attempted to fall asleep. Which ended up getting Rantarou to fall asleep on Shuuichi's lap again, not like Shuuichi minded but it was still weird.

It was nighttime and Shuuichi already settled to bed but Rantarou wasn't really tired yet. "Please don't stay up too late, I want you to rest." Shuuichi's voice was gentle yet stern. Rantarou nodded and waited until Shuuichi went into his room. Rantarou decided that maybe he'll just go outside really quick. The garden did look better at night and it wasn't like they weren't allowed to go. He did just that, watching the sky. Rantarou felt at peace as he began to remember all the times he's traveled and how he was able to see the sky from so many different perspectives. That is until he noticed Kaito sitting not too far away. He was laying on his back, his arms behind his head as if he was doing sit ups before he gave up. He noticed Rantarou and waved a hand to beckon him forward. "I know we don't talk much, but it's cool to see someone else enjoy looking at the stars, y'know?" Kaito said with a chuckle when Rantarou scooted towards him. "Yeah, it's always relaxing, no matter where you are." Rantarou replied. "So how are things going for you?" Rantarou asked, trying to stir up more of a conversation. "Good good. Astronomy is getting a little rough but I'm getting there! And Ouma is annoying like always." Kaito explained. "Yeah, I noticed. I still hear you guys every morning." Rantarou said with a chuckle and Kaito tensed up. "Wait really?! What the hell, why are you telling me this now?!" Kaito exclaimed. "You have a point, I really should've told you earlier but the walls in the dorms are literally made of paper." Rantarou pointed out. "Damn, I'll keep that mind." Kaito said with a sigh and looked over at Rantarou. "How's Saihara? Heard he's like a saint or somethin'" Kaito said. "You can say that I suppose." Rantarou said with a chuckle. Kaito just nodded, his face looked as if he was missing a detail that he wanted to say but couldn't. Until he finally managed to cough something up.

"He's at least pretty normal. Ouma ain't. Not only is Ouma an annoying little gremlin but he's hella weird. Sometimes at 3 in the morning, I'd see him wandering around for no reason. It's so creepy, his face would be all blank and he would walk around like he's searching for something. One time I saw him still wandering while I was getting ready at 5, I yelled at him and he snapped out of it, giving me the classic 'Hey, Momota-chan!' Like nothing happened." Kaito finally managed to explain, his eyes focused onto the sky. "I didn't think Ouma would be a sleep walker." Rantarou said with a light hearted laugh. "Neither am I but I'm telling you, it's really fuckin' creepy. Sometimes he would make this very terrifying expression where his face gets all dark for no reason." Kaito added, shuddering at the thought of the sleep walking Kokichi. "Is it always 3 AM?" Rantarou asked and Kaito nodded. "Usually that's when I start hearing footsteps. One time I went to check it out and he was standing right at my doorway, looking at me straight in the eyes. it was super weird." Kaito added. "I can only imagine." Rantarou commented.

"You're lucky Saihara doesn't do that kinda shit. In fact, one of these days I'm ready to switch roommates with you." Kaito said and Rantarou pondered. "Well Saihara is pretty weird too. He won't let anyone touch his hat and he always has these weird feathers all around his room. He said that they're his collection but they all look the exact same. Also whenever he smiles, laughs, or sings, it brings this really weird feeling. As if everything has been pacified and there's suddenly nothing wrong with anything anymore. It seems so out of character when he does it, since he snaps back and gets all flustered. Then again, that's probably nothing compared to Ouma's apparent sleepwalking." Rantarou explained. "Yeah but that is kinda odd. Well whatever, at least they're not aliens, that would be weird." Kaito replied with a light hearted laugh. Rantarou laughed with him until they parted ways.

Rantarou checked the time when he returned. It was almost 3 AM. Time sure passed, he hoped that Shuuichi wouldn't get mad at him at the morning. When he unlocked the door to his dorm, he noticed a wandering shadow. It was hard to pinpoint who it was but with Kaito's testimony, it made Rantarou shudder. When he entered the dorm, he was surprised by Shuuichi standing in the living room. "Amami-kun, I told you to rest." He said gently. "Wait but aren't you supposed to be asleep too?" Rantarou asked but Shuuichi walked up to him. "You didn't get hurt or anything, did you?" Shuuichi asked. "No, I'm fine. Just talked with Momota for a bit outside when I went to see the stars." Rantarou explained but that didn't wipe the worry off of Shuuichi's face. "That's fine just... please be more careful next time. Okay?" He said as he began to walk away. Rantarou nodded and headed to his room and tucked himself in. He felt restless but he needed to sleep. He didn't want to worry Shuuichi any more than he already was. He shut his eyes forcibly and tried to slip away.

Shuuichi turned on his heels and started to head towards Rantarou's room instead, sensing that he was struggling with sleeping. He quietly walked into his room and sat on his knees near the bed, behind Rantarou so he wouldn't notice. Shuuichi hummed softly, hoping that it would calm him down. Shuuichi was pleased when he noticed that Rantarou's face started to loosen up as he was slowly slipping into peace. Shuuichi smiled as he began to softly raise his voice until he had a subtle singing voice. He kept going until he was sure that Rantarou was asleep. He stood up and a feather fell. They usually did this whenever he has done a good deed. Good thing that these feathers also had an effect to create a sense of safety, especially with the potential danger wandering around. Shuuichi leaned in and opened Rantarou's hand gently, placing the feather between his fingertips, closing them around the soft fibers. He got up and left to head to his own room.

He hoped that was enough to have Rantarou well rested by morning.