☆ Deny ☆

Rantarou woke up the next morning, rubbing his eyes. He got up from his bed and entered the living room, expecting to see Shuuichi. Surprisingly, he wasn't there. Rantarou was rather surprised considering that Shuuichi was such an early bird and was there every morning to greet him. Maybe he should ask Shuuichi if everything was okay, considering his state from yesterday.

Rantarou began to make his way to Shuuichi's room. The door was closed and a feather lay by the door. Rantarou hesitantly put his hand on the handle, hoping that Shuuichi would forgive him for this. Rantarou made sure to mutter an apology under his breath as he pulled the handle down, hearing the click of approval. When he opened the door he was greeted with the sight of feathers everywhere with piles of books on the study desk. He looked at the bed to see a subtle mound.

He walked up to it and saw the asleep Shuuichi. Rantarou didn't realize it until now but Shuuichi was rather beautiful. His eyes were shut tight by feathery lashes and his dark hair elegantly trailed onto his face. Soft peaceful breaths escaping from soft lips.
Rantarou also noticed that the hat was placed on the bedside table. Rantarou began to recall Kokichi's words when Kokichi held the tip of the cap.

"Is this where you hide your halo?"

He looked at Shuuichi, he looked human. The halo was nowhere to be seen, he most likely hid it. Or maybe it was all just made up, just some dream to shake up Rantarou's view of reality. Rantarou moved his hand to Shuuichi's cheek to wipe away a strand of hair that was awfully close to his mouth. He went on his knees to get a better look of the peaceful Shuuichi. He noticed Shuuichi's face twitch, like he was about to wake up. His eyes opened slowly, the curtains of eyelashes revealing grey eyes, as elegant and pretty as pieces of Goshenite. It was almost unreal. Shuuichi looked up at Rantarou, the peace on his face peeled away with shock. "H-Hey! I told you not to go to my room..!" He scolded as he began to sit up but Rantarou only laughed. "It's good to see you're awake, I was worried yesterday." Rantarou said and Shuuichi looked away flustered. "Y-you saw nothing.. I-I'll be there.." he murmured and Rantarou got up to leave. "I hope you're feeling better." He said with a smile as he walked away from the doorframe.

Rantarou couldn't believe that Shuuichi would expect him to forget such a sight. It was embedded into his mind, the false dullness of Shuuichi flew away when his hat was no longer there. Rantarou even felt some disappointment when Shuuichi walked in, his hat covering majority of his face. Shuuichi was silent, most likely feeling embarrassed from earlier. "I didn't mean to barge in like that, it's just unusual for you to wake up later than me, you know?" Rantarou said and Shuuichi nodded. "Yeah.. I understand.. sorry for worrying you." He said softly. "It's fine, I'm just glad that you're feeling better. You seemed really upset yesterday." Rantarou stated. "It's nothing really.." Shuuichi only replied.

Of course, Shuuichi didn't know that Rantarou overheard his secret. Rantarou felt guilty, he just invaded Shuuichi's privacy twice by now. He found out Shuuichi's secret before he felt the comfort to tell him. Maybe he'll just deny it, pretend it never happened until Shuuichi fesses up himself. "Amami-kun?" Shuuichi said and Rantarou snapped back to reality. "Yes?" He asked. "Thank you for worrying about me but it's fine, so please don't think too much of it.." Shuuichi said softly with a smile. The loving smile, if only he were to take off the cap. He must've sensed Rantarou's worry. "Alright." Rantarou simply replied. He shouldn't worry too much about it, he can just play the deny card.

Rantarou spent his day as normal, attending long and tedious lectures and having occasional talks with Korekiyo and Angie. Yet the whole time, Rantarou found himself thinking about Shuuichi. He even found himself drawing feathers on his notes. Shading the tip to mimic the blue iridescent finish. He also couldn't get Shuuichi's eyes out of his mind either. Those mesmerizing eyes, eyes that were so abnormally gorgeous, shining like stars rather than standing as pupils. Was this an effect that angels had? Afterall, Shuuichi did wear that cap to blend in and be as human as everyone else. To hide away those inhumanely beautiful features that can only be found on paintings and statues.

When Rantarou came back, he was greeted by Shuuichi. Shuuichi was sitting on the couch, reading another novel. "How was your day?" He asked casually. "Nothing special really. How did yours go?" Rantarou asked and Shuuichi looked away to think. "Well not very productive either." Shuuichi just simply replied. It didn't seem like he was hiding anything, he didn't look upset or anything. "Hey can you sit next to me for a moment?" Shuuichi asked and Rantarou obeyed, finding nothing wrong with the statement. When he did, Shuuichi closed the book and scooted close to Rantarou. Rantarou tried not to let his face redden as Shuuichi's face grew incredibly close to his. He looked worried, a frown on his lips and his eye staring straight into Rantarou's. The only prominent eye seemed to almost resemble the eyes that were unveiling to Rantarou at the morning, the same light grey shade of goshenite. "Y-you only just view me as a roommate, right..?" He asked softly. "Well, I also view you as a friend." Rantarou said with a nervous chuckle and a sigh of relief left Shuuichi's lips. "I'm fine with that.." Shuuichi said with a soft smile as his face retracted away. "Sorry for being so close.. I just wanted to make sure that you weren't lying or anything.." Shuuichi said while looking away, his face also red. "Oh no it's fine!" Rantarou tried to shake it off, though he was just as flustered. For a moment, he saw a sad look on Shuuichi's face as he continued to look away. Rantarou couldn't hear him really well but from the movement of his lips, he could make out what he could've been saying.

"Afterall, even if I did like you, it can't be allowed.."

"Wait what?" Rantarou asked and Shuuichi tensed. "N-nothing! I was just talking to myself! I-ignore it please..!" Shuuichi begged. "Alright but please don't worry yourself too much. It'll be okay." Rantarou reassured and Shuuichi smiled. "Ah, thank you." He replied and Rantarou felt at ease. Even Shuuichi looked calmer. Rantarou just hoped that he'll be okay.