Chapter 4

The group came together swiftly – Clarke, Finn, Wells, Jasper, Monty, and Octavia, each driven by their own motivations, yet united in their quest for the supplies. Our journey through the forest was a sensory overload. The air was fresh and crisp, filled with the scents of pine and earth. I plucked a purple flower, its petals vibrant against the backdrop of green, and playfully tucked it behind Octavia's ear, earning a surprised look and a playful wink in return. Jasper's jest about my 'game' was quickly corrected by Monty, revealing the flower was actually Poison Sumac.

Clarke maintained a focused pace, her determination to reach Mt. Weather unshaken by the distractions around her. Her leadership was not without its detractors, though, as Octavia made a sarcastic remark about needing to lighten up. I couldn't help but chuckle but quickly spoke up in Clarke's defense. "She's doing her best under the circumstances," I said, understanding the weight of responsibility she carried.

Octavia's curiosity about my relationship with Clarke led to a humorous revelation. "She's my sister," I clarified, and her expression shifted from confusion to understanding, piecing together the puzzle of my past.

Our trek was suddenly interrupted by the sighting of a deer. Its form was a grotesque reminder of the world's irradiated state – two heads, one body, and a disturbing mass of infected flesh where the heads joined. The sight sent a chill down my spine, a stark reminder of the unknown dangers of this new world. Finn's query about the timing of our descent led to Clarke's solemn revelation. The Ark was dying, and our mission was a desperate gambit to buy time. The realization hung heavy over us as we processed the implications. Jasper's sudden exclamation diverted our attention. Octavia, in a daring display of freedom, had stripped down and dived into a nearby lake. Her fearless act was a symbol of liberation, a stark contrast to our past lives on the Ark.

"Octavia, we can't swim," Monty called out, his voice laced with concern.

"No. But we can stand," she replied confidently, her head bobbing above the water.

Her action left us momentarily speechless, a mix of admiration and apprehension filling the air as we watched her embrace this new world with unbridled joy.

The unexpected presence of a river threw us off course, contradicting the maps we had. Clarke's consternation was evident. "There's not supposed to be a river here," she noted, her brow furrowed in concern.

Finn, however, saw an opportunity for levity in our dire circumstances. "Well, there is. So take off your damn clothes," he quipped, trying to lighten the mood.

We all began shedding layers, the tension of our journey momentarily forgotten in the novelty of the moment. I was about to slip out of my pants when a sudden disturbance in the water caught my attention. A large, snake-like creature, its scales glistening in the sunlight, was rapidly approaching Octavia, who was still blissfully unaware in the water.

"Octavia, get out of the water!" Jasper's voice rang out in panic. But it was too late; the creature had reached her.

Her screams pierced the air as the creature dragged her under. I reacted instinctively, tearing off my shirt, prepared to dive in after her.

"What are you doing?" Clarke's voice was urgent, tinged with fear.

"I'm going to try not to die," I responded grimly.

"No, jumping in there is suicide. We need to distract it," Clarke reasoned, her eyes scanning the surroundings for a solution.

Together with Monty, we pushed a large rock toward the river's edge, hoping to divert the creature's attention. Jasper, in a desperate attempt to save Octavia, plunged into the water. His bravery was admirable, but his lack of swimming skills was evident. Miraculously, he managed to pull Octavia back to safety, her leg bleeding from where the creature had bitten her. Clarke quickly fashioned a makeshift bandage from Jasper's shirt, staunching the flow of blood.

"Thank you," Octavia whispered repeatedly, her body trembling from the shock and relief.

Monty's attempt at humor, "Next time, save the girl," brought a small chuckle from us, a brief respite from the tension.