Chapter 7

We began our journey into the forest, moving at a cautious pace, giving Bellamy time to decide to follow. The forest was alive with the sounds of nature, a stark contrast to the heavy atmosphere among us.

"Murphy, you're coming with me. Atom, my sister doesn't leave this camp, understand?" Bellamy commanded, his protective instinct for Octavia clear in his voice.

"I don't need a babysitter," Octavia retorted, her tone defiant.

Bellamy spoke quietly to Atom, issuing instructions, then turned to address our group. "Let's go," he said, signaling the beginning of our expedition towards the radiation-soaked forest.

As we trekked down the hill, Wells expressed his concerns. "Those guys aren't just bullies, Clarke; they're dangerous criminals."

"I'm counting on it," Clarke replied confidently, her eyes scanning the forest ahead.

We had been walking for a while when Bellamy suddenly called out, "Wait, hold up, what's the rush?" His demeanor was cautious, and he waved his gun around, indicating his readiness for any threat.

"Put the gun down," I said firmly, trying to defuse the tension.

Murphy stepped forward, challenging me with a hand on my chest. "What are you going to do about it?" he sneered.

I stood my ground. "Jasper screamed when they moved him. If the spear struck his heart, he would have died instantly. We don't have time to waste," I reasoned.

Bellamy set his condition. "As soon as you take off your wristbands, we can go."

"The only way the Ark will think I'm dead is if I'm dead," Clarke stated defiantly, pushing Murphy's arm away.

"Brave Princess," Murphy snarled, his voice dripping with disdain.

Finn appeared suddenly, his timing impeccable. "Why don't you get your own nickname?" he quipped.

"Better late than never," I added, relieved at his arrival.

"I'd like to think so," Finn responded, and we quickly moved on.

As we continued our trek, I voiced a lingering question. "About Mt. Weather—why didn't they attack until Jasper crossed the river? We weren't quiet."

Clarke and Finn exchanged a look. "They waited for us to cross," Finn surmised.

"The river's a boundary," Clarke concluded.

"Which means Mt. Weather is off-limits," Finn added, his expression turning pensive.

I couldn't help but worry about our situation. "How are we supposed to get those supplies? What are we going to do for food?"

Finn led us to a spot where a majestic waterfall cascaded down. "Woah," I breathed, awestruck by the sight.

"Well, at least we don't have to worry about water," Clarke noted, a small smile playing on her lips despite the situation.

Finn waded into the water, and I quickly followed after shedding my jacket and shirt. The coolness of the water was refreshing after the long hike. We playfully splashed around, and Finn mischievously directed a splash at Clarke.

"Not now, Finn. We don't have time for this," Clarke protested.

"We've been hiking for hours; we need a break," I reasoned, trying to lighten her mood.

"I'll take a break when we find Jasper," she replied, her resolve unwavering.

Finn and I shared a look and started to leave the water when Finn "slipped" and grabbed Clarke's arm. Her eyes widened in surprise at our playful scheme.

"Finn, no. No, no, no, no," she protested, but it was too late—Finn pulled her into the water.

"Dammit, Finn," she exclaimed, then playfully splashed water back at us.

"Oh, wow, okay, maybe just for a minute," she relented, allowing herself a brief moment of relaxation, which brought smirks to Finn's and my faces.

Finn then ventured into a more serious topic. "I think I know why you're so hellbent on finding Jasper and taking care of everyone else."

Clarke, half-amused and half-exasperated, responded, "Ha, now you sound like my mother. Well, go on, Mr. Delinquent psychologist."

"You couldn't save your father," Finn said softly, his tone gentle yet probing.

I expected Clarke to react strongly, but instead, she seemed lost in thought, her gaze drifting past Finn. Following her line of sight, I turned and saw blood-covered rocks nearby. My eyes caught something in the bushes—a familiar object. I retrieved it; they were Jasper's goggles.

"Jasper, he was here. We should go get the others," I said urgently.

As we prepared to move, Finn crouched down and examined the blood on the ground. "They're close," he said, a sense of urgency in his voice.