Chapter 10

Panic was etched on Monty's face as he scrambled up the ladder, his voice ringing with urgency and fear. "Murphy's going to kill Jasper!" he shouted, the terror in his voice echoing around us. Murphy was close behind him, his intentions malevolent, his eyes burning with a dangerous resolve.

Octavia, reacting with lightning-fast reflexes, delivered a forceful punch to Murphy's face, forcing him to momentarily recoil from the hatch opening. Seizing this crucial moment, I hastily positioned myself atop the door, using my entire body weight to hold it down against Murphy's attempts to break through. Meanwhile, Monty and Octavia worked in frenzied tandem to secure our only barrier. Murphy's relentless hammering against the door sent reverberations through the metal, each thud a stark reminder of the danger just on the other side.

"No rush, I'm not struggling or anything," I grunted sarcastically, feeling the force of Murphy's blows jarring the door beneath me.

"Got it," Monty finally announced, having torn a pipe from the wall in a feat of desperation. He tossed it to me, and I quickly maneuvered it through the door handle and one of the higher ladder rungs, fortifying our makeshift barricade.

"So, what the hell are we supposed to do locked up in here?" I asked, my voice tinged with a mix of frustration and concern, as we faced the reality of our confinement.

Octavia and Monty exchanged uncertain glances, their shoulders shrugging in unison, a non-verbal acknowledgment of our precarious situation. We spent the next 45 minutes in a tense, anxious vigil, our ears straining for any sound of danger, while keeping a close watch over Jasper. As time passed, the sounds of the camp stirring to life filtered through the small windows. People began to filter out of the dropship, igniting a bonfire that cast flickering, dancing shadows across our confined space. Octavia eventually left to search for Bellamy, and Monty departed to fetch fresh water, leaving me alone with Jasper. I set about gently cleaning the dried blood from his face with a damp cloth, each stroke an attempt to offer some comfort.

Suddenly, a shout from outside broke the silence. "They're back!" someone yelled, their voice carrying a mix of relief and excitement.

Torn between the urge to check on Finn and Clarke and the duty to stay with Jasper, I remained by his side. My priority was clear: Jasper's well-being was paramount.

Clarke and Finn appeared shortly after, Finn carrying a pot of tea made from seaweed, likely for its medicinal properties. "Hey, you three, look what I got," Finn said jovially, tossing a bottle of whiskey to Monty.

"Whiskey, really Finn?" I asked, half-amused, half-exasperated by his choice.

"Shut up and drink it," Finn chuckled, his mood light despite the circumstances.

Taking a swig of the whiskey, I felt the liquid burn down my throat, its harshness strangely comforting. "Disgusting... love it," I grunted, passing the bottle back to Finn.

Jasper's weak voice surprised us all. "Do you think I could get a hit?"

"Jasper," Monty sighed, a mixture of relief and concern in his voice.

Finn handed him the water bottle filled with the tea instead. "Welcome back, buddy," I said, smiling at him.

Monty extended his hand, and Jasper clasped it, their silent exchange speaking volumes of their friendship.

"Was I dreaming, or did I really get speared?" Jasper asked, a hint of disbelief in his voice.

"You'll have a very impressive scar to prove it," Clarke assured him gently.

"My savior," Jasper whispered, looking up at Clarke with gratitude.

"Thank you for not dying. I don't think I could have taken that today," Clarke continued, her voice soft but firm.

"Yeah, if it's okay, I'd like to not die tomorrow too," Jasper quipped, lightening the mood.

Octavia's gentle touch on his chest was a tender gesture of care. "Hello," Jasper flirted, drawing laughter from all of us.

As the laughter died down, I climbed onto the roof of the dropship, seeking solitude under the starry sky. Wrapping myself in the parachute material, I lay there, gazing up at the vastness above, feeling both small and connected. The stars twinkled like distant beacons, reminders of a world far removed from our current trials. Drifting into sleep, I felt a sense of peace amidst the turmoil, a fleeting respite from the challenges that awaited us with the dawn.