Chapter 31

Finn, skeptical, interjected with a scoff. "That's always your plan, like the bomb at the bridge."

Bellamy shot back defiantly. "Damn right, you got a better idea?"

Amidst the exchange, my attention was drawn to the small rocket model on our so-called "Battle Board." A thought began to form, a flicker of an idea in the midst of our dire brainstorming session. "It can't be that simple," I sighed, then turned to Raven. "There's rocket fuel, right? Enough to build 100 bombs?"

Raven countered, "I also said we have no gunpowder left."

My idea was taking shape, and I shared it with the group. "I don't want to build a bomb, I want to blast off."

Raven's eyes lit up with understanding. "Draw them in close, fire the rockets, a ring of fire," she articulated the plan, grasping its potential.

Bellamy responded with a hint of grim satisfaction. "Barbecued Grounders, I like it."

Finn, ever the pragmatist, questioned the feasibility. "Will it work?"

Raven's confidence was evident in her reply. "The wirings are a mess down there, but yeah. You give me enough time, I'll cook them real good," she promised.

In that moment, our strategy shifted from defense to a daring, high-risk counterattack. It was a plan born out of desperation, yet it carried a glimmer of hope. If successful, it could turn the tide in our favor. The stakes were high, but so was our determination to defend our home and survive. With a warm smile directed at Raven, our group of eager individuals set out to tackle the task at hand. Raven, the experienced engineer, took the lead, issuing instructions to Clarke, Finn, and me. Our mission was to carefully inspect the area beneath the towering rocket and delve into the intricate wiring system.

I was the first to make my way down the hatch, a rush of excitement coursing through me as I descended into the dimly lit underbelly of the rocket. The metal ladder rattled slightly beneath my weight, creating an echoing clang in the cavernous space. Once safely on the ground, I extended a helping hand to my sister, guiding her down with a reassuring smile. Our primary objective, as defined by Raven, was to locate the ignition system amidst the labyrinthine network of wires and components. Every detail seemed critical in that moment, as we ventured deeper into the heart of the rocket, feeling a profound sense of responsibility for the mission's success.

In the dimly lit underbelly of the rocket, tension hung heavy in the air as our group desperately searched for the ignition system. Our mission was critical, and every second counted. Clarke's voice cut through the dimness, breaking the silence.

"Kegan, do you see it over there?" Her words were tinged with frustration.

I scoured the maze of wires and components, my heart racing. "No," I responded, my voice reflecting the growing sense of urgency.

"Finn, what about you?" I called out, my eyes darting from one piece of equipment to another.

"Nothing!" Finn's voice held a note of desperation, mirroring our collective frustration.

"Raven, we can't find the ignition system!" Clarke's voice rang out, her concern palpable.

"Raven?" I yelled out, my voice filled with dread when her reply didn't come immediately.

Then, Raven's trembling voice broke through, carrying sheer panic. "I can't feel my legs!"

My heart sank as I imagined the fear and pain she must be experiencing. "Hold on, we're coming!" I yelled, my urgency mounting.

Clarke was the first to navigate her way out of the confined space, skillfully maneuvering through the wires and machinery. I followed closely behind, my mind racing with worry for Raven, who was now alone in the confined space. As we emerged into the dimly lit area outside the rocket, Clarke immediately assessed Raven's condition. Her expertise in such dire situations was evident as she gently helped Raven lean forward. The pain that Raven cried out with as she moved was harrowing to witness, her lower back displaying a gruesome array of bruises. I shared a concerned look with Clarke, and then we both turned our gaze toward Finn, who was trying to process the severity of the situation.