How to save a life

A song one shot

I'm considering doing more of these as they are fun and give you a basic plot without having to think one up, but let me know what you think.

Enjoy!

DISCLAIMER: I don't own the song, all rights go to The Fray

======================================================================

How to save a life

Tears fell down Kensi's eyes in waterfalls at a time. Hissing, she cursed herself under her breath "If only I made him leave me there then he'd be alive right now." She laid on her bed thinking about the man whom she loved more than anything but was now no longer with her. Callen walked into the room disturbing her thoughts.

Step one, you say, "We need to talk."
He walks, you say, "Sit down. It's just a talk."
He smiles politely back at you
You stare politely right on through

"Kens, you need to talk to someone even if its me or Nell or Sam even Eric or Hetty. You'll never get through this on your own." Callen said gently stroking Kensi's back and whispering that everything would be OK even though they both knew that nothing would be ok for Kensi with Deeks gone. Kensi showed no emotional reaction, she just stared right on through him.

Some sort of window to your right
As he goes left and you stay right
Between the lines of fear and blame
You begin to wonder why you came

Kensi walked away from Callen, just wanting to be alone with her thoughts. She went over to the window, staring out into the darkness as the rain pattered down onto the glass. Sighing heavily, Callen finally gave up and walked out the door leaving Kensi in her lonely distress once again. Callen's thoughts were mostly "Well, if she doesn't want us to help her make it through this then there is really nothing we can do."

Where did I go wrong? I lost a friend
Somewhere along in the bitterness
And I would have stayed up with you all night
Had I known how to save a life

"Where did this mission go so wrong?" Callen asked Sam desperately. "It was supposed to be simple but all our information was wrong. He wasn't meant to die Sam. We weren't ready to loose a friend." His fist met the wall sending an echo throughout the sullen house. Sam spoke next "We should've stayed with them to make sure they both got out alive. We should've stayed......."

Let him know that you know best
'Cause after all you do know best
Try to slip past his defense
Without granting innocence

"I'm going to check on Kens, G." Sam stated. He walked up the stairs into the room their junior partner was. "Hey," he whispered walking up to her where she stood by the window. He went to place his hand on her shoulder but she brushed it off letting him know that she realised what he wanted to do and make her say. "I miss him already too." Sam said, trying to connect with her. Kensi shot a death glare his way, her walls as high as ever, determined not to let anyone in.

Lay down a list of what is wrong
The things you've told him all along
Pray to God, he hears you
And I pray to God, he hears you

"Look Kens, if you don't open up to us and talk about it then we just can't help you and you'll never be able to move on." Sam tried to reason with the grieving Kensi. She turned to look at him, sadness and anger evident in her eyes. "I don't want to open up to you, I don't want to talk about it and I can't move on. The only thing I want and need right now is Marty back in my life to tell me everything is gonna be alright. If a God exists then I'll pray to him. If there's anything to do to bring him back I'll do it, but I'm not opening up to you."

And where did I go wrong? I lost a friend
Somewhere along in the bitterness
And I would have stayed up with you all night
Had I known how to save a life

Sam gave up and left, he went to join Callen back in the living room. "There's nothing we can do to help her unless we can bring the dead back to life." The desperation stage was close if they wanted to bring Kensi back into the light. A heavy rain-cloud hung over the house representing the mood within. It's never easy losing someone you love, but Deeks and Kensi's relationship went deeper than love, they were the definition of soul mates. Theirs was love at first sight.

As he begins to raise his voice
You lower yours and grant him one last choice
Drive until you lose the road
Or break with the ones you've followed

A knock on the door signalled the senior teammates that someone had arrived, they were expecting Hetty but it could be Eric and or Nell. Callen opened the door and it revealed Hetty standing there in the rain, her small car sat behind her. "How is she?" was her first question. Callen and Sam simply shook their heads giving the answer she wasn't looking for. Wordlessly, Hetty walked up the stairs to where Kensi was. "How are you my dear," she asked. "Answer me please.... KENSI!" The sudden raise of her voice made Kensi swiftly turn her head to face Hetty. The look on her face was one of utter betrayal. "You....you promised me that he would never be harmed again, and now he's gone. How could you let this happen?"

He will do one of two things
He will admit to everything
Or he'll say he's just not the same
And you'll begin to wonder why you came

"There's nothing I could've done, you know that. It was his own choice to save you." Hetty tried to reason with her. "NO!" Kensi yelled. "You put us in that situation, it's your promise broken." Hetty sighed and began to speak, "OK, I'm sorry for putting you in that situation...... but it's not entirely my fault. I understand Mr Callen and Mr Hanna could've stayed with the both of you but Mr Deeks told them to leave." That silenced Kensi for now. Not knowing what to say, she just turned her back and stared out the window once more. Hetty realised that nothing more would come of their conversation and left Kensi alone.

Where did I go wrong? I lost a friend
Somewhere along in the bitterness
And I would have stayed up with you all night
Had I known how to save a life
How to save a life

How to save a life