chapter 3- Planning a surprise

Annabeth's POV

I started to walk up towards the stairs to the main entrance of the school when I saw a large group sitting on the steps. I couldn’t see their faces but from the back I spotted: a girl with light brown, choppy, hair that was braided with feathers sticking out of the ends, another girl with frizzy dark brown hair (almost black) and darker skin, a boy with black hair that was brushed neatly on the top of his head, another boy with curly brown hair that was wild all over the place, (the last three people were boys) the next one had neatly trimmed, short, blonde hair, the boy next to him had dark brown or black hair and pale skin, and the last one sitting on the end… had jet black hair that was messy and strewn across the top of his head. Even from the back I knew who all of these people were. My best friends.

I didn’t want them to see me yet so I quickly turned around so that I was walking to the side entrance of the right side of the school. Students gave me sideways looks, noticing that I was new. Once inside I turned and entered the main office. The walls were a cream color and the waiting chairs right behind me were red leather (or fake leather, almost plastic). There was only one row of chairs. The wall that was behind the chairs was glass, it showed the hallway of the school just outside the main office. The desk in front of me was made of oak, that held two people and two computers, as well as paper, pencils and phones.

Behind the desk was a printing machine, a copy machine, the door to the teachers lounge, a meeting room, a clock, a large calendar, and an extra desk in the back stacked with files and filing cabinets.

The woman on the right side of the desk looked about 45-50 years old. She had short blonde hair that bobbed next to her jaw line. She wore a pair of glasses with a bright pink rim. Her nose was small and round and her eyes were a comforting blue. She looked up from her computer and smiled at me.

“Hello dear, my name is Ms. Love,” her voice was smooth and friendly. “What can I help you with?”

“Ummm… I’m new here and I need my schedule.” I responded. She nodded at me then asked,

“What’s your name dear?” Ms. Love smiled again. Before answering that question I turned around to face the school hallway making sure that nobody was out there or in the office to over hear my name. If somebody overheard my name and that got out to all of my friends, my surprise would be ruined. Convinced that nobody would hear me I answered.

“Annabeth Chase.” at this, the girl sitting next to Ms. Love looked up at me in surprise. She had dark brown hair with light brown highlights. She had blue eyes as well and her hair was long and curled down to her shoulders.

“You’re Annabeth Chase? I’m Laura.” I nodded at her. At first I thought she might have been a demigod who had heard of me. Until she spoke again. “Mr. Blofis told us that he would be taking you to the library.” I nodded as she finished printing out my school schedule. Once it printed Ms. Love handed it to me. Just then Paul (Mr. Blofis) walked through the glass door.

“Hello Annabeth.How are you? We haven’t seen you in a while.” He enthused giving me a hug. I laughed.

“I’m good Pau- I mean Mr. Blofis.” The time he laughed. I was used to calling him Paul after all of the time I spent with Percy and his family.

“Well, it was nice meeting you Annabeth. Have a Goode day.”  Ms. Love smiled again as we left the office. Once outside I asked Paul if he knew where the library was. I wanted to check it out before my little surprise.

 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Okay Annabeth, here’s the library.” Said Paul, gesturing towards the glass double doors directly across from the main entrance. I eagerly stepped in. My eyes gazed across the large room and my jaw dropped.

Over 100 shelves stood in front of me, holding every type of book you could imagine. Directly in front of me was the commons area. Plush sofas lined the back wall and two were on either side of it. In the center was coffe table piled with magazines. On the right side of the library was the study center. Round tables were spread around the corner and pushed against the walls were counters topped with laptops. On the left side of the library was a long staircase, leading up into the upper loft. Directly in front of me, in the center of the library was a large desk in the shape of a circle.

“Wow… this is great!” I turned towards Paul, who was gesturing towards the library, urging me to go inside. I took a big step forwards and the woman at the desk looked up at me.  She was a short and plump woman with beady green eyes and thin lips, which she pursed. Her thin grey/ white hair was pulled into a tight bun, pulling her flabby skin back. She was probably like 90-95 years old. Like… really old!

“Hello dear… is there anything I can help you with?” Her voice was sickly sweet and made me shiver.  I nodded.

“Yes actually… do you have any books written in Greek?”  She looked at me skeptically for a moment, thinking hard about my question.

“Yes actually. They are right over there.” the old woman pointed a bony finger in the direction of the shelves.

“Thanks.” She nodded once more and sat down abruptly, almost tipping over in her seat. Her face was priceless, I had to stifle a laugh as I walked past her.

The hallways of the school were a lot more crowded now and it was just before first period. You could tell who all of the “groups” were in this school. In a large group on the right side of the hall, was a group of guys. When I walked past them they looked in my direction. I heard multiple comments on well… me. A few guys even whistled. I smirked to myself for a moment, then glared at them, shooting them daggers. There was a group of girls on the other side of the hallway too, chewing bubblegum, very loudly! They all had on pounds of makeup, their faces caked with foundation and blush. Most of them had on super skinny jeans or mini skirts. Their shirts were way too revealing and their shoes were each at least 5 in. heels and they were all glaring at me too, but how could they walk in those shoes?

I continued making my way towards the office once again, my bag slung over my left shoulder. Every corner I peeked around to make sure I didn’t run into anyone, allowing my secret to be spoiled. I could just see the office up ahead when I heard a shrill voice call out, “Percy!”

I spun around, almost knocking into a small freshman. “Sorry.” I muttered anxiously sweeping my gaze across the school hall. But I didn’t see Percy. I breathed a sigh of relief and opened the door to the main office.

Ms. Love didn’t even look up at me when I walked past her into the back of the room, where the morning announcer was about to start. I tapped him on the shoulder.

He had dark black hair that was neatly combed, bright blue eyes, and a crooked nose. He was in his mid 30’s but he looked older. “Yes?” he questioned, annoyed with the delay.

“Ummm… yes actually. I’d like to make an announcement once you are finished.” He slowly nodded unsure if it was aloud.

This was going to be fun!

-------------------------------------

A/N: I am Getting these chapters up really fast because I already have them written down. I know that the last 3 chapters (including this one) have been really short and I know that. But as i've said before, they will get longer as the story progresses. 

Please leave comments! I would love to hear your ideas as well as knowing if I made any mistakes. but, if you are commenting on the story or any errors, please make sure that it is not hurtful in any way. It will not incurage me to keep writing and I don't want that to happen. Also, make sure to like this story!

Disclaimer: sadly, I do not own any of the places or names that have come out of the Percy Jackson series. Rick Riordan does. You will know which characters I have made up and which ones are from the series, that I love dearly,... : /

-jhwood1122