04 | jackson

CHAPTER FOUR

JACKSON

( — janet jackson; american singer, songwriter, dancer, and actress. )

          "I'M NOT PAYING YOU TO BAT YOUR EYELASHES AND WOO MY LEAD SINGER

          "I'M NOT PAYING YOU TO BAT YOUR EYELASHES AND WOO MY LEAD SINGER."

          "You're not paying me for anything," Selina retorts, standing behind the counters. People are staring at her—or at Cameron, which might be the most likely option—and, if she doesn't find a way of making him not ruin her night, she'll be certain to find a way of ruining his. It's what they do; they fight fire with fire. "And I didn't woo him; I just gave him a pep talk at the hotel lobby and told him he should talk to you and Cory every once in a while instead of completely shutting me out. If that offends you, I'll be sure to tell him to quit the band next time."

          Cameron's lips twist and Selina slides across the area behind the counters to take the orders from a group of guys. Luckily for them, they only order beers instead of some intricately prepared drink, so they won't have to put up with Selina's headache-induced bad mood; unfortunately for her, it means she won't take long and will have to resume her conversation with Cameron.

          Needless to say, she's not amused. Not even in the slightest.

          "Oh, bartender," a male voice calls, back from where Selina just came from, and it's not Cameron. The tone used is a lot more vicious, almost predatory, and she immediately stiffens, a shiver running through her spine. "Can I get a refill?"

          "I don't know," she dryly replies, throwing a patterned cloth over her shoulder. "Are you paying? Because that's your third beer"—Selina gestures towards the tall cup the guy is holding—"and you haven't paid for any of them."

          "Oh, but I will! After you get me that fourth one, sweetheart."

          His voice is slurred almost to the point of no understanding and that sweetheart comment is the cherry on top of the cake, immediately getting under her skin. Selina knows better than to start a scene, but, with Cameron watching her like a hawk (and having heard the other guy), with the rest of the band sitting somewhere in Caleidoscopio and Luciana doing God knows what, she'll have to do whatever it takes to remain safe.

          So, she pulls the cloth and slams it against one of the counters, the dry thud echoing around her, and several people jump in their seats. Cameron takes a few steps to the side to let the line keep flowing, freeing some seats on the high chairs, but she can handle this. It's not the first time she has had to deal with pigs at her workplace; in fact, that has happened back in Los Angeles as well and she didn't need anyone to solve it for her.

          Except for the HR team, but those guys have to stick their noses in the middle of everyone else's business and then claim it's for their protection.