25 | chenoweth

CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE

CHENOWETH

( — kristin chenoweth; american actress and singer, with credits in musical theatre, film and television. )

          SELINA FEELS LIKE A FISH OUT OF WATER

          SELINA FEELS LIKE A FISH OUT OF WATER. As she exits her Uber and shows her credentials to the security team stationed outside of the music video set, she's pretty certain her heart is mere moments away from exploding.

          Although she has filmed commercials and has taken part in a few photoshoots before, this is the first time she's ever shot a music video. She's not really sure what to expect, as the only things about it she knows include the band, the song, and the meaning of the song. She has, obviously, had to listen to the song to see what she was in for and it felt like a literal punch to the gut.

          Winona kept telling her she had to face her fears at some point. Selina is certain she has found a way of making sure she does it.

          It's pretty clear Remus wrote that song when he was in a much different, much better mood than the one what he currently is in. Even though his social media presence looks normal from an outsider's point of view, Selina fears she might be reading too much into it. She even tries to examine his choice of emojis—if he's even the one behind his tweets or if it's his social media manager—to pinpoint that something's not quite right.

          He seems less energetic, that's for sure. His tweets are either composed of grammatically correct sentences—as opposed to the much more relaxed all-lowercase ones from a few months ago—or of single emojis. He used different colored hearts, but has only been using the regular red one. On Instagram, all his captions seem perfectly tailored, as though they've been examined over and over instead of being thought of right before posting.

          Then, there came the song.

          Selina could barely last through the entire thing—three minutes and thirteen seconds of heartache—without bawling her heart out. Ethan barged into her bedroom, thinking she'd gotten seriously hurt—which, in a way, she had. He stayed there, with her, listening to True North over and over again.

          You know I'd always find you.

          I'll always come home with you.

          I'll always come home to you.

          Selina knows next to nothing about the music video, other than that they want to be like The Killers in their Just Another Girl music video. She likes to think she definitely doesn't look like Remus—ethnicity and all—and it's not that original of an idea, but she's also supposed to meet him at a bar by the time the video comes to an end.

          It can't possibly be just a coincidence. There are too many red flags for that.

          As if everything else wasn't hard enough to deal with, actually laying eyes on him is even worse. He's hanging out with the rest of the band on their director's chairs, wearing those stupid black jeans, that stupid white t-shirt, those stupid combat boots, and that stupid leather jacket. He doesn't see her at first, too busy scrolling through his phone, but Cameron does.