08 | bellamy

CHAPTER EIGHT

BELLAMY

( — matt bellamy; english musician, singer, guitarist, pianist, and principal songwriter of the rock band muse. )

          SELINA LOVES SHOPPING

          She loves the thrill of finding bargains, she loves trying on new clothes and being grateful she can afford all of it, and she loves searching the racks for that perfect outfit—one that will only be perfect for a short moment in time before being stuffed in the back of her closet and never touched again.

          However, she can't say she loves shopping for bridesmaid dresses. It's too big of a responsibility, which she should have remembered when she accepted to play that part, and such a simple task is made so much harder by all the flashing cameras following them around. Beverly says Winona and Maia will join them later, but, whatever 'later' means, it can't come soon enough.

          Selina knows she isn't the one the cameras are following . . . not exclusively, at least. Her being here is simply an added bonus that can get those people some extra cash, but the ones they're here for are Beverly and Jillian. The former can't catch a break from the spotlight, now that news about the wedding have spread across the world, and the latter, while being a lot more discreet, has still won an Oscar.

          ". . . make it look like the President's here, or something," a woman comments, talking to the man standing next to her. Both of them watch the photographers sprint across the streets, nearly knocking each other down to get a better view. "These dang vultures."

          "It's Los Angeles," the man adds, in disdain. "Of course there will be celebrities here. You'd think they'd be used to not invading people's privacy like this."

          "If they want a good shot, try the Walk of Fame. You just have to point your camera to the ground."

          Both of them burst into laughter, so hard they almost cry, and even Selina manages to crack a small smile at their exchange. It sounds like those two weren't actually shopping together and had never said two words to each other, but this moment created a connection between them.

          Beverly has made a reservation at one of her favorite boutiques and the place is surrounded by security forces, not to mention they're being followed close behind by Beverly and Jillian's own bodyguards, so everything should go smoothly.

          "Welcome, welcome," the boutique's owner, a short, chubby woman with a mane of dark curls, greets. The badge on her shirt reads Lisa. "First of all, Miss Kean, thank you so much for choosing us for your shopping spree this afternoon; we're truly honored." Beverly beams at her. Between her clasped hands, there's her cellphone. "When you're ready, we can begin."