12 | morissette

CHAPTER TWELVE

MORISSETTE

( — alanis morissette; canadian singer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist, record producer, and actress. )

          SELINA PATIENTLY WAITS FOR HER INCOMING DEATH

          Meanwhile, Ethan is as fresh as a lettuce and Winona sits at their kitchen table, with her laptop open in front of her, occasionally sipping her coffee. Selina's own coffee went cold around twenty minutes ago, but she still hasn't found the courage to get up from her seat and flush it down the sink.

          In all honesty, even getting out of bed was a nearly impossible task. Anything that revolves around doing anything other than sleeping is proving to be the hardest thing Selina has done this month, and the fact that the remaining people in her apartment are taking it like champs makes it worse.

          "Someone looks like death," Ethan comments.

          "I feel like death," Selina corrects, and crosses her arms over the kitchen table to rest her head on them.

          The only reason why she's out of bed is because she has plenty of phone calls to make and emails to send, and Arielle has called in sick, so she won't be of much help. Selina is lucky she doesn't have to go to work today and can do everything straight from home, but it's not like she's ecstatic about it.

          After all, everything feels like the catastrophic end of the world whenever you're hungover.

          "Maybe you shouldn't have had so much to drink last night," Winona advises, typing furiously. The noise has been getting on Selina's nerves for the past thirty minutes, but, at least, Winona is being productive. Selina would love to be able to say the same thing about herself, but here they are. "I saw you with that guy last night. The one with the red hair."

          Selina's stomach churns, and it's not thanks to the alcohol. She spent plenty of time trying to block that event from her mind and was actually succeeding at doing so until Winona decided to bring it up. She once thought about making 'stop ghosting people' one of her New Year resolutions, but she knows she'll never fulfill it.

          Why should she, anyway? Things are a lot easier this way—it's so much better to not have any strings attached and to be free to do whatever she damn pleases.

          "What about it?" Selina grumbles, knowing better than to ignore the comment. If she did, Winona would drop it for the time being, but she would also conveniently remember the conversation at the most awkward time possible. "It didn't mean anything."

          "Shame." Winona downs whatever is left of her coffee and leaves a red lipstick stain on the cup. "He was pretty cute. Didn't you get his number?"