20 | williams

CHAPTER TWENTY

WILLIAMS

( — hayley williams; american singer, songwriter, musician, and businesswoman who is the lead vocalist, primary songwriter, and keyboardist of the band paramore. )

          THE PARTY STARTS, ALRIGHT

          The reception has Winona and Beverly written all over it, a perfect mix of the two of them and what makes them who they are. There's glitter, pink, and flowers—all Beverly—but there's also a touch of Winona—straight lines, sharp highlights and shadows, silver and gold—which, once again, proves just how good Maia is at her job.

          It's horrible, but Selina's priority once they get to the reception venue is the bar. She weaves through the crowd, muttering angrily about those who stop, stare at the decorations, and block the path for everyone else, and takes great advantage of her height. Maia follows her close behind, twisting her hands in each other.

          "Maia, no," Selina warns.

          Maia frowns. "I need a glass of wine."

          "You can't hold your alcohol, remember?"

          "Yeah, screw that. I worked my ass off planning this wedding and making sure everything was absolutely perfect, so I think I've earned an entire bottle."

          She does just that. She yanks a bottle of white wine from Selina's hands, pours herself a glass, and disappears into the crowd as quickly as she appeared. Now emptyhanded and slightly less sober than Maia, courtesy of the champagne from earlier this morning, Selina needs a new distraction.

          Drew Ricci will work. She's standing next to Jersey, looking impossibly tall next to her (which isn't hard, really), and Selina begins to see the similarities between her and Charles Ricci. They both have the same ash brown hair, although his is straight and Drew sports a long mane of curls, and the same icy eyes and sun-kissed skin.

          Jersey looks at her like she's the goddamn sun, so radiant she doesn't even need to wear blush, and Selina hates that she has to interrupt such an adorable moment, yet she does it anyway. She's not shocked to see Jersey is drinking as well, which Jane would highly disapprove of if she was here.

          "Sel," she greets, chipper as always. "Have you met Drew?"

          "Can't say that I have," Selina replies, reaching out a hand towards Drew, and being caught off-guard when the latter pulls her into a tight hug—which couldn't be any different from what she expected from Charles Ricci's daughter. "Guess she's a hugger, then?"

          "She is," Jersey confirms. "Drew, this is my sister, Selina—"

          "—Locke," Drew completes, stepping back. "I'm aware. I love your show."