x || a nice couple

"Mate, you ready to join us to Hogsmeade?" Charlie asked James.

James cleared his throat. "Actually, I had plans to go with someone else."

The blond boy shot James a curious look. "With who? Lilian?"

James shook his head. "Actually, no. Uh, with Annabella." He admitted, his heart racing in his chest for reasons unknown to him.

"Blimey! Are you serious?" Charlie exclaimed.

James nodded, his cheeks burning slightly. Why am I getting so weird about this, James asked himself.

"Do you seriously like her or something mate? I thought you couldn't stand her not that long ago? I know we all joke about you having heart eyes for her but I thought that was all play."

James suddenly had an urge to defend himself. "What—no!" He said too quickly. "She's not all that bad, but trust me, I don't have a thing for her. I—she asked me to go with her and I felt bad so I said yes." James lied.

Charlie gave James an unbelieving look. "She asked you?"

James nodded. "Yes. And I have to meet her there soon, so if you don't mind," he said, and rushed past Charlie.

James wished he never lied and hoped to Merlin that it didn't get back to Annabella, because he suspected she would be quite upset about that. And upsetting her was the last thing he ever wanted to do.

~~~

Finally James made it to Hogsmeade, and spotted Annabella waiting by herself on a bench that was off to the side.

"Annabella!" James exclaimed, and the brunette's head shot up, a nervous smile immediately forming on her face.

"Hello James," she greeted, and he could tell how nervous she was by the slight waver in her voice.

He really hoped it didn't show—but he was nervous too. But it's not like he had any reason to be nervous, it wasn't a date after all.

But why did he wish it was one?

He shook that thought from his head.

"Where do you fancy going?" James asked.

Annabella thought for a moment. "Maybe the Three Broomsticks? I'd quite like a butterbeer."

James nodded. "The Three Broomsticks it is."

~~~

After having a butterbeer or two, the two of them had loosened up quiet considerably. Annabella was laughing and had a rosy hue to her cheeks, and James was smiling fondly at her from across the table.

"You know, I never thought it would be this enjoyable to hang out with you. No offense and all, but not so long ago you were about to bite my head off if I so much as looked at you," James confessed.

Annabella furrowed her brow, with a slight smile on her face. "I'm not sure if I should be flattered, or offended."

Just then someone's hip knocked into their table.