xxi || winter break has begun

Winter break has begun, and James was absolutely ecstatic. He had nearly two weeks away from Hogwarts, and there were several reasons why he was excited for that.

One obviously being, no classes. That one was a no brainer. But he was also excited to spend time with Annabella outside of school, and he was glad Albus and Scorpius wouldn't have to reside in the same building as someone who was out to hurt them.

Although as excited as he was to hang out with Annabella, he was a bit upset that she wouldn't be coming over to his house until Christmas Eve, same as Scorpius.

He wasn't sad necessarily that he wouldn't see her until then, he felt bad because that meant she had to go home to her parents for the days up until then. He knew she didn't have the best relationship with them, and just hoped she made it alright until she could come to his.

James was snapped out of his thoughts in front of the train, when someone nudged his side. Startled, he turned to see his younger brother looking up at him quizzically with Scorpius by his side, practically latched onto his arm.

"Are you alright James?" Albus questioned. "You've been standing there for quite some time."

"Oh, yes I'm fine," James laughed. "I was just waiting for you two!"

Albus's expression visibly deflated when he realized James must have been wanting to sit with them.

"Are you going to sit with us?" He sulked.

"Gosh, don't look too happy to be spending time with your older brother." James snarked. "Did you really think I was going to let you lot sit by yourselves when someone could very well be on this train who wants to hurt the two of you?"

Albus rolled his eyes but Scorpius tugged on his arm slightly, looking at him with an understanding gaze.

"Al, he's not wrong," Scorpius whispered. "He just wants to make sure we're safe."

The corners of Albus's mouth quirked up slightly into a smile and nodded, turning back to James.

"Alright, we'll sit with you." He relented, and Scorpius beamed at Albus from beside him.

"Great! I'll find Lily too and we can all sit together!" James exclaimed and stepped onto the train, Albus and Scorpius gaping behind him as they rushed on.

"James! Not Lily! We don't want to sit with Lily!" Albus exclaimed and hit his shoulder.

James turned back around with his brow furrowed, confused. "Why not?"

Albus opened his mouth to speak again and James silenced him.

"I'm not asking you, you brooding little man. I'm asking Scorpius, the reasonable one. Why don't you want Lily to sit with us too?" He questioned.

"S-she scares me," Scorpius admitted with his head down. "She's always watching us looking so calculated and she's really good at her magic and I-I don't know. She's intimidating."

James laughed and shrugged. "Well, she's sitting with us. I mean," he started, and shuffled closer to the boys in the right corridor of the train. "I know the note was only threatening the two of you, but that doesn't completely mean nothing could happen to Lily either. And she's younger than you guys. I just want to make sure she's okay too, alright?"

The two boys sighed and nodded. "We'll go find an empty compartment and you can go get Lily," Albus agreed.

Scorpius grabbed Albus's hand and pulled him down the hall to find an empty space, and James smiled fondly at the blush that spread across Albus's cheeks at the gesture.