xii || an invitation

Several weeks had passed by and the air began to turn even chillier, and it wasn't uncommon for there to be slight snow flurries outside.

Winter break was nearing, and James still had yet to decide if he wanted to have a friend over for it. Albus of course was having Scorpius over—it's not like he would ever choose anyone else.

Lily was having her friend Ellie over, but James really had no clue who he could invite, if anyone.

Charlie and his family went on an extravagant trip during the vacation time, so he wasn't an option—not that James would fancy having him over anyways.

Noah he could do, but the boy got on his nerves rather easily too.

Grant would want to spend time with his sister and dads, they normally kept to themselves during Christmas, save for the day everyone gathered together.

That really only left Annabella. But Bella was a girl, and he wasn't sure how his parents would feel about that, considering James wasn't sure how he felt about that.

James mulled over the idea in his head as he sighed. He supposed he could go ask Harry during his free period, the worst that would happen is he could be told no.

He was glad he didn't have to explain to the boys what he was doing, Noah and Grant were nowhere to be found, and Charlie was fast asleep, hanging off of his bed.

He slipped out the door, and begun walking to the DADA room, where he was sure he could find his father.

"Should I even be asking this?" James questioned himself. "I don't even know if we're that close of friends, what if it made her uncomfortable—"

"James, who are you talking to?" His dad's voice broke though his rambling.

James paused, not having realized he entered the classroom.

"Oh. Uh, no one. I was just talking to myself."

"Should I be concerned?" Harry questioned.

James shook his head. "No, everything's fine."

His dad nodded. "Okay...then would you fancy telling me why you're here?"

"Oh right, well I don't know, it was just a question about inviting someone over for Christmas during the break." James said.

Harry nodded as he sat on a desk. "Alright. You know your mother and I are fine with that."

"Right well, it's just about who I wanted to invite I suppose." James told him.

Harry motioned for James to continue talking.

James fiddled nervously with his hands. "Normally I wouldn't run it by you because I'd just have Charlie or Noah over but uh, her name is Annabella, and—"

Harry cleared his throat. "I'm sorry, her? As in it's a girl?"

"I—yes."

"You want to have a girl over during Christmas break."

"Yes."

"Are you two dating?"

James's face went red. "No. We aren't dating, no. Just friends."

Harry paused. "I suppose I'd have to run it by your mother, in the mean time, why don't you ask this Annabella what she's doing over break to make sure she's even free?" He offered.

James's eyebrows shot up in surprise. Harry hasn't necessarily agreed yet, but he came closer to it than he thought he would that quickly.

"Oh, okay. Thanks dad."

Harry nodded as James turned to walk out of the room, when he spoke up one last time.

"James, this Annabella wouldn't happen to be Annabella White, would it?" He asked curiously.

James nodded confused. "Oh, well, yeah. Why?"

Harry got a small smile on his face, as if he was trying to hide it. "She talks about you an awful lot with her friends. She talks quietly so I don't overhear, but her friends aren't as good at that."

James smiled, because that sounded like Olivia and Natalie, but then he hesitated.

"Good things or bad things?"

Harry shrugged. "I dunno. I suppose her accepting or declining of your invitation for break or not will answer your question." He said a bit mischievously.

"Wait, does that mean you're allowing her to come? You aren't going to run it by mum first?" James exclaimed.

Harry shook his head. "I can tell you really want her to come, even if you aren't admitting it to yourself. I don't see why your mother would have a problem with that."

James suppressed a smile. "Thanks dad!" He exclaimed, before hurrying out of the room to go find Annabella.

He wasn't exactly sure why he wanted to spend break with her so much, but deep down, a part of him knew.

~~~
sorry if this chapter isn't that good. but i promise more is going to be happening soon ;) !