Chapter 3: Guidance

Yoon Bum's hot and cold demeanor had started to waver recently. He seemed to cycle between aiming to please you like an obsessed puppy and suddenly remembering he was in charge and forcing unwanted acts upon you. However, even then he seemed to have a tipping point in your favor. One night he had tied you up to the bed, hell-bent on physically satisfying you. You shuddered in fear as he slinked over to you, sultry smile hovering mere inches from your face. After a short while, you relaxed a bit. His touches on your skin were quite gentle, almost reverent. His kisses were even more sweet, saturated with undeniable adoration.

Unfortunately his loving gestures quickly morphed into a heated passion. Your sprawled legs tied to the bedposts began to twinge and ache as he rocked against your body. You writhed and asked him to stop, explaining that this position was painful for your legs. He continued with his ministrations, muffling your whimpers of pain with a deep kiss. Suddenly he scooted his hips forward, thrusting at an angle that shot an excruciating wave of pain through your legs. You bit his lip hard, causing him to lurch backward and ease the strain on your shattered ankles. You implored him to stop, demanding that he untie your legs. Yoon Bum wiped the blood from his lips and stared down at you.

"You ungrateful bitch." He snapped, trying his best to imitate Sangwoo. "You think that you can get your way just because you're a little hurt?" He was certain his domineering attitude would win you, as Sangwoo's deep sexy voice would always seduce him without fail. You were going to blush and beg for more, exactly the way he used to. He decided to up his game, gripping his bony fingers deeper into the soft flesh beneath your hips. You called out louder this time, just as he anticipated, and he fluttered his eyes closed in satisfaction. "Mmm..." He leaned forward once more, pressing his chest to your own. "Do you like that?"

"What the hell do you care?!" And just like that, his fantasy snapped and his eyes shot open. To his utter horror, you were cowering away from his touch, expression contorted in extreme revulsion. There was venom in your eyes... and something else...

"Oh!" The instant he saw a tear run down your beautiful cheek, Bum knew he'd made a mistake. He felt a churning dread, reminiscent of taking Sangwoo's baseball bat straight to the gut. "I- I'm-"

"Just get it over with." You grit your teeth and turned your face away. At a loss, Yoon Bum tried to obey, but couldn't. Your choked back sob might as well have been an arrow straight through his heart. Not a fleck of pleasure could be taken in a moment like this. How could he think of himself when his perfect ray of sunshine was crying? What struck him as even worse was the fact that you seemed to expect that behavior from him, accepted it even. He felt wretched, irredeemable. All he could think to do was untie you, so that's what he did.

"Agh!" You let out a yelp as the strained limbs adjusted to no longer being stretched. Yoon Bum quickly stumbled out of the room to get you painkillers. When he returned he found you balled up in the corner of the room. Your chain rattled lightly from the movement of your broken cries. You took the pills without hesitation but refused to look at him.

"F/N..." His voice was soft, penitent. "I didn't mean to-" You flinched away from his touch and something inside Bum shattered. For a fleeting instant, he looked to his experience with Sangwoo for guidance. If he had acted out or shied away, Sangwoo would have corrected him, shown him the way to behave. And he was right in doing so. Bum knew he didn't deserve the gift of his love and he was wrong to step out of line. 'But this is different... This situation doesn't apply because... it wasn't her who crossed the line... it was me...'

Would Sangwoo have apologized if he'd ever been wrong? Surely he would have, Bum thought. So he resolved to pour his aching heart out to you, make sure you knew the only feeling left in it was remorse.

"I'm s-sorry." He managed to choke out past his bitter tears, trembling voice barely above a whisper. He was answered with only silence. "Please forgive me!" Somehow no answer was more damaging to him than a hurtful retort. Bum broke down.

The night continued without pause, the only sounds carried on the breeze were those of your quiet sobs and the harmonizing sobs of the heartbroken man on the other side of the room.