Chapter 23: Sun

The sun burned your eyes as you were wheeled out through the automatic doors of the hospital. You weren't used to so much brightness; this was more sunlight than you had seen in months probably. Your parents chatted with you about news you had missed, trying to keep the topics light and deter your mind from any trauma you may have endured. Bum remained silent, walking no more than a foot away from your wheelchair, crutches in hand. He kept stealing side-glances at you, and by now you knew him well enough to know exactly what he was thinking. He was waiting for a moment alone with you, to ask you what happens next, to quell his insecurities and uncertainties of the future.

Yoon Bum made sure to uphold his end of the promise, but he was unsure whether or not you would uphold yours. Unfortunately, it only now occurred to him that you never promised him anything during your fight, and that fact was beginning to devastate him with anxiety. 'I mean... she defended me against the police officers, so that has to be a good sign, right? It must have been hard to lie like that. Sangwoo always knew when I was lying.'  He appreciated your cool head in that situation, but the more he thought about it, the more he began to question things that you said to him in the past. If you were that good at lying on the spot, how many times did you lie to him? Was everything you said to him a lie?!

"You kept it?! So it's really the way it was when I left?!" Your exclamation snapped Bum out of his thoughts.

"Yep. We talked about it and decided that clearing out your apartment was bad luck. It would have been like giving up on searching for you, and we refused to do that. So we kept paying the rent."

"That's amazing! Thank you guys so much!" Somehow your parents never failed to amaze you, and it seemed they had more faith in you than even you had in yourself.

Once you had finally arrived, Bum and your mother helped you up the stoop to your place while your dad carried the wheelchair into the house.

"Wow. It feels so good to be home." The words came out, though they felt a tad insincere. In a weird way, you had grown more accustomed to Bum's abode and felt slightly out of place here now. However, you shrugged off the feeling knowing it would soon fade. Hopefully it would take the bad memories with it.

"Do you need us to stay here with you tonight, honey?" Your mom asked. "We can go to the store and grab an extra futon or two."

"I'm okay. I have Bum to take care of me." You said, to which he returned a genuine smile.

"I don't know that I like a boy sleeping at my baby's house unsupervised." Your dad tilted his head at Bum, who immediately looked nervous, but then you both let out a laugh.

"His uncle did this, remember?" You gestured to your (now professionally) bandaged legs. "I don't think either of us should be alone until they find him."

"Alright. Well, we boarded up your ventilation system and reinforced it, so no one's getting through that again." He reassured you.

"Thanks, dad." You shot Bum a significant glance. 'Won't do much good with the thief already in the house...'

"Alright, honey. We'll let you get some rest. I'll check up on you both tomorrow." Your mom smiled on her way out the door. "It's such a blessing to have you back safe." They both gave you another hug and kiss before waving at your companion.

"Goodnight Bum-O." Your dad gave him a hearty slap on the back.

"Ah- uh- goodnight." He mumbled, and the door finally slammed shut, leaving the two of you in silence. The nervous ravenette behind you was hesitant to speak, afraid that any minute now you would send him packing.