Chapter 10: Games

"U-uhm... pardon?"

"I said: who's Sangwoo."

"B-but... h-how do you-" Yoon Bum's eyes became wider by the second.

"You mumble that name in your sleep sometimes. What's your relationship to that person? I'm curious." Bum's spiraling discomposure only piqued your interest further and you now realized how little you actually knew about him. Over time you'd been able to piece together that his parents died early, he had at least a somewhat positive relationship with his grandmother, and he lived with his uncle before you met him. But never once had he mentioned a Sangwoo, yet every night he didn't dream of you, that name would spring forth from his lips. 'A former lover perhaps?' That had been your first instinct, but that didn't seem right. Sangwoo sounded like a guy's name. Then again, Bum did possess a particular object that would indicate that he's had at least some form of ...exploration... in that area. And that brought to mind the one night he asked you to-

"S-Sangwoo? Uh..." He suddenly returned to washing dishes, trying to not look too robotic in his attempt to casually shrug it off. "I'm... not sure. I don't know anybody by that name... M-must have been dreaming." And he let out a high-pitched laugh, loudly clanging pots and pans in the water to drown out any further questioning.

"Guess so." You pretended to let the subject go. It was unclear whether you were incredibly proficient at reading his behavior or if he was just that terrible of a liar, but one thing was certain: he was hiding something, and you were going to get to the bottom of it...

-------------------

"Here's the shopping list for today, dear." You slid the piece of paper across the table to him. 'Wait, when did I start calling him that?' You didn't have time to question it further as you were waist-deep in another plan. He snatched the list and, much to your dismay, unfolded it to read it. He made a face.

"F/N... there's a lot of alcohol on this list..." Bum's stomach began to twist with worry. He'd once been in a state where he contemplated suicide often. He wondered if you were considering poisoning yourself and he frowned in concern. 'I'd understand why... I mean... I wouldn't want to be stuck with someone like me either...' Had he turned you to alcoholism from the intolerability of his presence? Just like he'd done to his uncle? It was at this very moment that Bum realized how careless it was of him to give you access to rat poison several weeks ago. 'Oh my god, she could have really hurt herself because of me! I'm such an idiot!'

"Well... alcohols add flavor to a lot of different cuisines." You stated matter of factly. "Didn't you know that?"

"Oh... yeah. I guess so."

"I'll show you when you get home."

"...F/N... you aren't... I mean..." It wasn't the ingredients that made him question you, but the sheer volume of it, four bottles to be exact. He had no idea how to phrase his anxiety without saying it outright. 'F/N, you aren't going to kill yourself because of me, are you?' He knew that would be a less than tactful question, one you likely wouldn't answer truthfully anyway, so he fell silent.

"Oh. It's because it's expensive isn't it..." You rolled over to the drawer where you kept your painting money. With a light fwop, you dropped the wad of cash on the table and smiled. "It's on me then."

-----------------

Yoon Bum watched you cook, helping occasionally when you asked. He had spent a much longer time in captivity than you, yet you had clearly mastered gastronomy far quicker than he had. He tried to minimize his part in your flawless culinary art nowadays and accepted the fact that you were just better than him at everything. It was no surprise to him though; he knew when he brought you here that you were a perfect angel.