Chapter Thirteen

Chapter thirteen: the computer

I wake up to the blaring sound of my alarm on my phone. It's six 'o' clock an dinner will be up at six thirty. James then pops into my head and all I can think about is that I need to figure out where he is and what he is keeping from me.
As I open the door I look around the hallway to make sure no one is there. I step out into the hallway and start making my way towards the stairs. I walk on my tip toes so that no one hears me as I look around the entryway to see if anyone is down there. Once the coast is clear I see a door that is in front of the kitchen that I didn't notice before because it blends in with the white walls. I push against the door and it slowly opens into a room that has a computer in the center of it.
I step into the room and shut the door behind me. Something's got to be on the computer about where he is. I look around my shoulder to double check that no one is there as I sit down in the huge black chair in front of the large computer. I touch the mouse and the computer turns onto a white screen with two small boxes in the middle of it. One box is a picture of grass with the name Tim under it. The other box is a picture of a beach with the name James below it. I click on the James box and a password pops up. I try to think of something James would put. It could be anything because it wasn't numbers it was a word. At the corner of the text box is another box that says hint. I click on it and a comment bubble pop up on the screen on the top right corner and it says,
Her
I try to think of who that could be.
His mom! I type in his moms name.
Melanie
It doesn't work. Who else could it be? His older sister?! I type in her name.
Morgan
It doesn't work either. Who is it?!!! I brainstorm. Her? What other person could it be? Wait.
Me!
I type in my name.
Caroline
The screen lights up and a picture of us at the beach spreads across the screen. I smile a little knowing that of all things he chose me as his password.
Back to business. Before I can click on anything else I hear footsteps in the kitchen. I click on the close button and shut down the computer. I walk up to the door and it starts to open. I quickly jump to the side and as it swings open I slide behind it undetected. James' dad walks in and yells at someone. Then I notice he is on the phone.
"What are you doing?! How could you do this to me?! Hiding something like this from me?!" Who is he talking to? "I can't have them here forever!" He's definitely talking about Audrey, Michaela, and I. "You aren't going to do another job for them after this! James this is ridiculous!" He's talking to James! Oh my gosh is he okay?! "We've been in hiding for too long for you to make mistakes like this!" Was I the mistake? "I have to go I'll talk to you as soon as I can. And I am not done!" he yells one last time before charging out the door to furious to realize I'm there.
I let out a huge breath that I didn't realize I was holding in and leave the room after he's gone for a few minutes. I run back to my room and shut the door behind me. A knock on my door a couple minutes later I know I'm in trouble. I open the door and I see Mr. Smith holding a silver trey.
"Dinner Miss." he says entering the room and placing the trey on a table thy wasn't there earlier. I freeze knowing that someone was in my room and I wasn't knowing I was supposed to be. He walks up to me and says, "Don't worry I won't tell him you were gone. And just letting you know it's lights out at eight." I relax and we share a smile before he exits the room. I think I'm going to like him.
I walk over to the table to find a medium cooked steak, salad, and mashed potatoes. Yummmm! I eat as fast as I can and text Audrey and Michaela to meet me in my room at seven. I need to go back to that room so I can figure out where James is and what he is hiding from me.
*****
It's seven and Audrey and Michaela walk into my room perfectly on time.
"That was some awesome steak!" Audrey says entering the room behind Michaela.
"Yeah it was delicious!" Michaela replies. "So what's up?!" she asks.
"Okay so James won't tell me anything about this mission he is on and I am worried. I mean he could be anywhere doing anything and I feel like I need to help him." I declare.
"Are you sure? I mean he's like a spy and I don't really think we are spy material." Audrey says nervously.
"I know, but I have to do something you know. I don't want him to go through what I did. Wait, did you say we?" I say confused.
"Don't think you're doing this on your own! I'm in." Michaela says determined.
"Don't think you two are going on a spy mission with out me now. I'm in too." Audrey says smiling.
"Okay so I found a computer downstairs and I know James' passcode. Michaela I was hoping you could help me figure out where he is from that sense you're so good with computers." I say and she nods in approval. "Audrey you're really good at navigating so I was hopping you could take us there." I finish and she nods too.
"So when are we starting this mission?" Michaela asks.
"Tonight." I reply. "can we all pack our bags and we will leave at eight thirty for the computer, then once we figure out where we are going Audrey can drive us there."
"Sounds good. See you at eight." Audrey says exiting with Michaela, to pack up what they've already unpacked. I haven't unpacked anything so I just have to wait.