Chapter Sixteen

Chapter sixteen:

(James' P.O.V.)

I wake up on my side on something wet and hard. Someone is asleep up against me with their arm wrapped around my stomach. I then remember last night.

Caroline!

I then hear her make a noise. She scoots closer to me and tightens her grip around me. She moves her hand slowly

down to my waistline and although I want to go there with her I don't want to yet, especially when she isn't fully awake.

I turn around to face her, making her move and she sort of wakes up. "Hey." She says opening an closing her eyes again.

"Hey." I say smiling, knowing she isn't aware of what she almost did just a few seconds ago. I stare at her and she is covered in mud from he rain last night. Then I realize I probably am too.

"How long have you been up?" She asks still closing her eyes.

"Just woke up." I say smiling at her. "We should probably clean up before anyone notices we're gone."

"Mmhhummm." She sort of agrees slash moans. I stare at her not making a sound and she opens one eye and smiles. "What are you looking at?" She asks playfully.

"A beautiful girl who I'm in love with." I reply sitting up against my elbow. She opens her eyes and widens her smile and I know I gave her the right answer. She gets up off the ground and walks back towards the house. I get up and chase after her. Like our little game of tag on the beach. She sees me running and starts running herself. I could easily catch her if I wanted to but it's more fun to watch her have fun and flirt with me. She laughs as I barely miss her and she takes off again. Her blonde curls flowing back behind her as she runs around a tree. I walk around the tree to sneak up behind her and when I get to where she was she's gone.

I look around but I don't se her. I turn around and see a man in a dark suit walking through the forest and I freeze.

Caroline!

I whip my head around to find her hiding behind another tree. The man is headed our way and I can't move to her because then he will spot me. I look up and realize that the only way to get to her is to climb the tree and over to the other tree so the man won see me or her. I start climbing up as the man turns around and heads a different direction.

**********

(Caroline's P.O.V.)

I turn my head to see where James is but before I have a chance to find him I see a man in a black suit walking in the trees. I whip my head back around to hide behind the tree. Oh my gosh! I have to find James, but I don't see him. I stay as close to the tree as I can as the man passes me. I close my eyes as if that will help me somehow when someone covers my mouth with their hands. I try to scream but it's muffled by the person's hand. I try to wiggle out if their grasp but the person tightens their grip on me. I elbow the person hard in the gut and they silently groan.

"Geez Caroline, it's me!" I hear James whisper as he lets me go grabbing his stomach. I turn around and mouth sorry to him. He must see something behind me because his eyes widen and in less than a second I'm on the other side of the tree and James is above me hanging off the tree with a hand off it reaching towards me to help me up. Wow he's fast. I reach up my hand and he grabs it pulling me up with ease. I'm lifted off the ground and pulled onto a large branch on the tree.

He climbs higher and I follow him. A twig snaps on the ground and we freeze. We both look down and a man stands below us looking around the area. James pulls me closer to him lifting me higher off the ground.

I stare at the man as he moves under our tree. I've never been more scared in my life. I know James can tell because he pulls me closer to his chest forcing me to look up at him. I bite my lip as I wonder what we are going to do. I can feel myself shaking and I can't stop. As if he can read my mind he nods assuring me that we will be okay but pulls me closer still. I close my eyes and hold onto him as tight as I can trying to steady myself against his calm body. He is a little more tense than I thought he'd be but he is still under control.

The man moves past us but we can hear him walking nearby so we stay silent and still. Once the crinkling sound of the leaves on the ground disappear James moves down the tree to make sure that the man is gone. He then disappears from my sight and I start to get nervous. I sit sigh lent in the tree waiting for a sign from James to say it's okay to come down. Although it's barely been a minute I can't help but have a mini heart attack when I don't hear him at all let alone see him. I start bitting the inside of my lip and I know I'm shaking again. Where is he?!

I start to hear voices and I try to listen in. I can tell it's two males by their deep voices but I can't tell who it is. I move higher up the tree to look above a few branches to get a better look when I see my dad and Alex's dad talking in a serious tone. The man in the suit we saw earlier is standing a little farther away turning his head a few times to make sure no one is near them. I know I need to get out of here some how but they aren't far enough for me to move. And if James is right, my dad is sort of a secret agent for Canada... Or was it Russia?!

Ugghh, I don't know.

Any way the point is they'd have to be a lot farther away for me to get out of here.

I look at them again and spot James above them on a tree branch with a small oval shaped metal thing in his hand with a cord that goes up to his ear. All I can think is:

A: How does he look so hot sitting up there?

B: How on earth did he get up there without them seeing him?

C: ... God, he looks so gorgeous up there with his dirty blonde hair falling off his face towards the ground, and his biceps are flexing through his black polo shirt as he hangs off the branch.

Suddenly my attention is taken back by the yelling coming from my dad and Alex's dad who is now storming off in the opposite direction of me and the house. I decide to take this opportunity to escape and start frantically gripping the branches below me. I pull myself down as fast as I can without making too much noise. As soon and my bare feet hit the ground I take off running towards the house.

Then I realize I have no idea where I am!

All I know is that I'm completely and utterly lost. My breaths are fast and I am scared out I my mind. What the heck is going on?!

I just keep running until I hit something hard. I look up to meet a concerned James. I let out huge breath and wrap my arms around his warm body. He hugs me back and let's out deep sigh before his muscles relax against me. All I can think is what the heck is going on?

----------------------------------------------

Sorry I haven't written in what feels like forever. I've been super busy and haven't had much time to write. I hope you like this chapter. If you haven't already noticed I posted the next chapter to my other book 'Why Can't I Love Someone Else' as well as this one. Please read it too! Thanks, love ya!

-Sarah