14- Fresh Air

Sarah started to wake up.  She realized Connor had gotten up for work. The urge to get up and get to work surged through Sarah. Connor walked in as Sarah was getting ready for work. "What are you doing??" He asked standing in the door way.

"I'm getting ready.." Sarah told him as she put her scrub bottoms on. Connor walked over and pushed her gently to set her on the bed, "No... You need to rest, Reese." Sarah rolled her eyes, "So.. now we're not even on a first name basis?" Connor sighed before turning and walking out, "Sarah. Just rest." Connor left and drive to work.

Sarah sighed. She went back to bed and fell back asleep for an hour. When she woke back up, she got on her phone before walking to the kitchen to start making breakfast. The whole house eventually started to smell like eggs and bacon with a hint of orange juice. She sat down and ate her breakfast.

Knowing today would be a boring without work or Connor, she started to think about what she needed to do. She stopped walking dogs a bit ago so that was out of the picture. She could always do dishes, but that was boring as well. Who wants to do that..?

Sarah walked around in an incessant search to try to find something to do. She decided on going out of the house to get some air. The thoughts in her brain were a little foggy but she thought she was doing okay seeing what has happened to her not too long ago.

Chicago looked like it always did. A few people on the corners that you probably didn't want to know. A fire station would parked at just about every mile. Normal Chicago. Sarah enjoyed her walk. It helped clear her mind of some thoughts.

Some of the streets Sarah took, she knew Connor wouldn't approve of, but she still wanted to look around. She was going to go everywhere she possibly could. She was okay until she saw a guy fall down in the middle of the road. No one was around him. He was alone. There wasn't even a car on the street. It was empty. 

As soon as Sarah seen him fall to the ground, she ran over to him and rolled him on his back, "Sir?? Can you hear me?" He didn't respond. She checked for a pulse and watched to see if he was breathing or not.

When she didn't find a pulse, she immediately started high quality CPR for a few minutes. Since she didn't know him, she wasn't going to do rescue breaths, mostly for her own safety.

She got her phone out to 911. No signal. "CRAP.." The man's skin dyaphoretic(sweaty) with apnic respirations(gasping, not normal).

Sarah knew it would be better if she ran to get signal so someone was on the way. She got up and ran to the corner where the signal was better and could call 911. "Hello. I'm Dr. Sarah Reese. I'm off duty but I need a ambulance here now." The dispatcher was nice and sent an ambulance her way.

It felt like an eternity for the ambulance to arrive, but it was only five minutes. Brett jumped out of the driver's seat. Sarah was back with the guy doing CPR. Gabby was helping Brett get the cot out.

Gabby walked up to Sarah, "What happened?" Sarah was going CPR, "I was taking a walk. I turn the corner and this man just fell to the ground in front of me." Brett and Gabby nodded and helped Sarah get the man onto the cot. They got him in the ambulance.

Brett got in the front and started to drive to med. Sarah was in the back with Gabby. They started to perform two rescuer CPR until they got to Chicago Med. All of them got out and ran the patient into the hospital ED.

Maggie directed them to the empty trauma room. They moved the patient onto the hospital bed. Brett and Gabby left. Sarah was in the trauma room. She got gloves on before taking over CPR. Connor walked in and was shocked to see Sarah.

"What are you doing here??" He asked abruptly. "I was on a walk and this man fell to the ground in front of me. I couldn't just leave him there," Sarah told him. Connor shook his head before focusing on the patient. They got defibrilation pads on the patient and everyone backed away. They shocked him and got a good, regular rythum back. The patient would soon be moved upstairs. They would also have to find his family as quickly as possible.

Sarah and Connor left the patient with a cardiologist as they walked to the break/locker room. After they got coffee they sat down and looked at each other. "Go home." Sarah didn't say anything. "You need a break. You we're affected and you know it, Sarah."

Maybe Connor was right.