Chapter Twenty

I came to learn that rumors and information spread very fast in the small town

I came to learn that rumors and information spread very fast in the small town. Although everyone seemed to mind their business, something had definitely changed in how I was being treated. The lady at the local convenience store even changed some of the goods I brought to the counter because 'that's not what Nathaniel buys.' People knew I was living with him, and I wasn't sure if that was a good or bad thing. Since I ditched my missionary uniform more people waved at me and even greeted me. I guess from their perspective was no need to avoid me anymore. It's funny how beliefs shape social bubbles.

I wasn't even angry. I kind of understood why they had avoided me then. If I had a chance I would have pulled them aside for a chat like any missionary would, and them deciding they would rather avoid that was not really any different from when church members encourage you to leave the 'difficult people' for people more spiritually strong. There was a huge fear of contamination — not of sickness, but of divergent ideas.

Most of the time when I saw people from my church I would panic and find another route. I wasn't ready to be confronted by them. I knew the drill, they wouldn't offer anything helpful and would just make me more confused and out of touch with myself. Olivia and Sam tried to call many times, but after a week I blocked their numbers, feeling that it was the right thing to do.

"Mathew, are you listening to me?" The sound of Nath's voice brought me out of my thoughts. I apologized, sighing as I rubbed my eyes. He just smiled, picking at his eggs. It was five in the morning, and we were having breakfast in the kitchen. Nath had something to do at the shed, so he had to leave the house earlier than usual.

"I was asking about what you wanted to do," Nath said, picking at his toast. "Were you planning to go to college before?"

I thought about it a bit, realizing that after doing my missionary service I hadn't really had a lot of plans. My father had talked about trade/technical college a few times, and that had been about it.

"If you need a job right away there are a bunch of places that would take you," Nath went on, folding his toast before taking a bite. He chewed, swallowing before he continued. "There are a bunch of stores around here. There's also a library here that's understaffed..." he trailed, pausing before starting right at me.

"Am I being overbearing?" he asked in a concerned tone. I shook my head, rubbing my eyes again. I knew Nath was just trying to help.

"Have you talked to your family since then?" Nath asked me, and I shook my head. I hadn't written home since I left the station. That was about a week plus ago. I guess I was stalling, and I wasn't even sure if they knew now. It was likely that someone took it upon themselves to inform them.

Nath didn't say anything, and he just kept eating his food. I started to pick the boiled eggs on my plate too, but the uncomfortable silence lingered on as we ate.

"I'm just worried," Nath spoke up, making me look over at him. "It's just... I've been through this and it can be very hard. You're doing amazing," he said, reaching out for my hand. I looked down at our joined hands. His dark one, squeezing my pale smaller hand.