Chapter 6 - Trouble Knocks Twice

When Rose said that she would be back, Kate had not expected that to mean the very next day.

But there she stood in front of Kate's office even though it was early morning. She was holding a cup of coffee and looking at her smartphone, occasionally tapping the screen once or twice. Waiting. She was leaning on the wall in a way that suggested to Kate that she had been standing for a considerable while.

"I didn't think you'd return so soon," Kate blurted out.

Rose put away her phone and looked up. "I won't be around for that long. Have you thought about it?"

Kate brushed past her and unlocked the door to her office without meeting Rose's gaze. The key to this was avoiding emotion, she told herself. "I have. And the answer is still no."

Just as Kate was about to enter her office, Rose grabbed her arm.

"Why is this such a big issue?" Her tone made it sound less like a question, and more like a demand. An accusation, even. "You could improve people's lives. Lots of them."

Kate shook her off. "I already do. Isn't that enough? I'm sure you have plenty of other skilled surgeons to choose from."

"I spent a good chunk of yesterday talking to other members of staff. It sounds like you've earned yourself quite a reputation." Rose stepped closer and Kate automatically took one step backwards. Rose continued. "It intrigues me. Very few people are willing to do such risky surgeries on a regular basis. Even fewer succeed at it consistently."

Rose extended her hand once more. More manipulation. Kate wondered if that was the reason she had gone along with the flirting. No, she had flirted even before she knew who Kate was. Kate pushed the thought to the back of her mind. It surely was nothing more than manipulation at the present moment.

"Stop touching me," Kate hissed as she stepped back. "It's not going to make me change my mind."

She turned and briskly walked away. All things considered, it was for the best.

***

The first half of the next day went by without any unexpected visits to Kate's office. By the time it was getting close to noon and Kate would have her lunch break the whole inspection thing had slipped her mind in favor of the upcoming surgeries she had discussed with her patients.

Just as her last patient, an older gentleman, had left and she was about to go for lunch, she heard a knock on the door. Could there be a question he had forgotten to ask? She reasoned that it was better to put him at ease now than to encounter trouble later.

"Come on in," she called.

She froze when the face that met her was not that of her elderly patient, but the hospital director. The director was a stocky woman with broad-rimmed glasses and an ever serious expression on her face. Just like her appearance suggested she wasn't one to budge easily, and getting in her way usually meant trouble.

Was this about another disciplinary hearing? Please don't let it be so, Kate thought to herself. She swore that she'd cast a curse on Anna's gaudy car if she had reported her again. Not enough to be dangerous, just enough to serve as payback.

The director marched in and promptly sat down in the chair reserved for patients. "I've been hearing that you don't think much of cooperating with our guest researcher. Is that true?"

Oh. This was going to be worse than a disciplinary hearing. Kate's mind raced as she tried to think of a convincing reason. Unfortunately, they were in short supply. She fell back on the one she had used on Rose.

"You know that being watched by outsiders makes me nervous. It could put the patient at risk," she finally said, but being unable to put confidence behind her voice.

"She's not a regular researcher and you know I've already been lenient with you," the director countered. "This project could improve health care across the country, and my hospital is going to be part of it. As will my best surgeons. Meaning, yes, you as well. You can handle one surgery."

Kate felt her gut turn to ice. "Can I at least pick the surgery?"

The director hummed to herself as she tapped her bottom lip. Kate felt beads of sweat forming on her forehead. The time until the director responded felt like an eternity, even though the wall clock said it had only been fifteen seconds.

"I suppose I can concede on that part. As long as it happens within one week and concerns a high-risk patient."

Kate felt her stomach lurch. As if being observed wasn't bad enough. Tackling a high-risk case meant a much higher chance of her magic being needed.

"Are you sure that high-risk-" She began but the director cut her off before she could speak any further.

"Not negotiable. This specific project is all about better management of high-risk patients. Find a surgery you're confident enough to do in front of an audience. Of one person. That shouldn't be too hard." The director raised her eyebrows and shot Kate a cautionary glance before she stood and left the room.

Kate realized that her hands had curled into fists. She unclenched them and rubbed her forehead. While she had managed to negotiate herself some leeway this could still turn into a world of trouble if she wasn't careful.