Chapter 31 - Confrontation

Kate and Mari's distraction act worked well for another two surgeries. Knowing that Rose was observing her again, Kate had managed to get hold of a schedule, so she felt a little more confident.

However, the day of the next surgery that Rose would be watching Kate received word that Mari was sick and a different anesthesiologist would be filling in for her. When she received the news Kate felt as if she had been punched in the gut, but she couldn't back out at that point. She'd just have to do her best and hope no magic became necessary.

Thankfully, the replacement anesthesiologist turned out not to be Anna. Then again, even if they asked Anna she had likely declined on the basis of the risks the surgery presented to the particular patient.

Instead, it was Dennis, whom she still didn't know much about other than the fact that he seemed to collect miniature cars. It had come up one time the team chatted about what their homes were like. Kate hadn't volunteered much information about her own and let the rest of them do the talking.

The fact that Mari wasn't the anesthesiologist on the case felt very noticeable to Kate this time. Both due to the lack of distraction, as well as the fact that the patient's physiological parameters changed more and there was a notably more frequent need for her to stop in order to allow Dennis time to stabilize the patient. Not that Kate thought him incompetent - he did a respectable job. He just wasn't on Mari's level.

"How about you move your hands at half speed so I actually get a chance to keep up," Dennis eventually commented from behind the drapes. Only half jokingly, Kate guessed from his tone.

"Or we shoot you up with some stimulants," joked Dennis's assistant, before he quickly added. "Only a jest of course." That last part was obviously directed at Rose.

Kate fought back the urge to cast a glance in Rose's direction. Her focus needed to be on the surgical field. The area suddenly filled up with blood and she cursed inwardly. She must have nicked something, and she didn't trust Dennis to be able to buy her the time she needed to handle this without magic. Her heart pounded hard in her chest. Holding off was still an option- No, she only needed a few seconds. She wasn't going to risk a life over that. Sharply, she drew a breath and got to work on the problem. A faint golden glow flickered in the air for a few seconds, which was enough for Kate to get the situation back under control.

Rose made no comment, so Kate didn't know whether she had noticed anything. Probably not, she told herself and forced her focus back to the operation. A second blunder of that nature was not something she could afford.

Kate was worn when the operation concluded, but the important thing was that her patient was doing okay. She somehow made it through the other cases on her list for the day, then retreated to her office where she slumped onto her chair and stared blankly at the ceiling for several minutes.

Just as she was attempting to coax her brain from a state of spacing out into one ready for paperwork, a knock startled her upright. Her shoulders were tense and her gaze had reflexively moved to the door.

"Yes?" Kate said, in spite of not being sure whether she wanted the other person to respond.

Turned out it was only one of the nurses who had a question regarding one of Kate's patients. Once the situation had been handled, Kate slumped back again and commenced another session of staring at the ceiling. Painfully aware that her paperwork wouldn't fill itself out, she pulled herself out of the state after a moment. One, two stretches before she commenced the task. She had been typing away on her keyboard for a while by the time another knock sounded out. Hopefully it was a nurse this time as well.

"Yes?" She turned her head to the door to see who entered.

Cursing inwardly again when Rose stepped inside and shut the door behind her.

Rose put her hands to her hips and cut straight to the chase. "I saw it again today. Isn't it about time you told me what's going on? It's real, isn't it? You can use magic."

Kate steeled herself. Just deny it. All of it. If you're adamant enough she's eventually go away. At least that was how she hoped this would play out.

"I don't know why you keep bringing that nonsense up. Nothing out of the ordinary happened today." Her frustration made her throw in an extra jab. "Perhaps you ought to get your eyes checked."

"I know what I saw." Rose crossed her arms and her lips narrowed into a thin line. "Once might have been a fluke, but this is not."

"See? That's exactly the reason the two of us won't ever work out." When she saw the way Rose shrunk in response, Kate immediately regretted her remark.

"That's low. You know, all about this is. You lie to me, deceive me, lead me on, and then dump me without a second thought." Rose's voice cracked. "While I haven't known you for long, I still thought you would be a good person at heart."

About half of that was true, but Kate wasn't going to specify what. She knew she had to end the conversation, lest she be dragged deeper into the whole mess. Ignoring the pained look on Rose's face - and hating herself for it - she continued on. This was what she had resolved to do.

"I have nothing more to say on this topic. Please leave. I recommend you find some fellow mystics to discuss your magical mumbo-jumbo with. I regret ever getting involved with you."

"Well, so do I," Rose announced loudly before turning on her heel and slamming the door shut.

Kate sat in silence. Rose's scent still hung in the air, and her anguished expression still hovered before Kate's eye of mind. She buried her head in her hands. This was the time she was supposed to feel relieved! Instead she felt overwhelmed with guilt and regret, on top of which came an extra helping of guilt and regret at the fact that she was experiencing said emotions.

She really hoped Mari was going to be back soon.