Chapter 17 - What Now?

Kate's lips were burning for days after the kiss.

Well, metaphorically speaking. If they truly had been on fire she would have had other concerns than when Rose would show up next. Four days had passed and while she had spotted Rose at a few occasions they hadn't talked.

Had Mari's plan worked after all? By the look of things, it could have. The other day she had overheard a couple of her colleagues talking about how Rose had observed a number of different surgeons. If Rose had moved on, great, but Kate wouldn't believe it before she had been gone for at least a couple of months. Maybe half a year, just to be safe.

She was on her way down the hallway to the operating rooms. Her left hand traced along the slightly bumpy surface of the wall. The way it felt cool against her skin soothed her and took the edge off her nervousness. Even so, she still startled every time she heard the clacking of high heels.

She wasn't going to fall into the same trap as last time. Though her case list still contained several high-risk patients, she was prepared to cancel them if she had to. The thought pained her but each time she went over the problem she would reach the same conclusion. It would hurt a few in the short run, but benefit many more overall. Even if she had to turn people down now, taking the risk of operating on them would be inexcusable for the sake of the rest.

Every time she scrubbed in, there was a nervousness she couldn't shake. A notion that Rose would suddenly arrive, out of nowhere, without any prior warning, and demand to observe. Sure, she had suggested taking a more cooperative approach. But Kate was the one who had stormed out without giving an answer. How did that affect Rose's mood? Her thoughts about her future approach? Kate had tried to guess at it but found that she hadn't the faintest idea.

"Hey Kate, you're unusually jittery these days. Sure you should be operating?" Dennis, the anesthesiologist was the first to speak to her when she entered the operating room.

"I'm just a little on edge due to some... personal stuff." Kate huffed. "There's no issue with the steadiness of my hands. Promise. I know I don't have the luxury of messing up here."

This case too was one where complications were likely to abound. The patient had previously been through several surgeries on the same site, meaning the anatomy would be more complicated to navigate. Add to that some metabolic instabilities that were only correctable to some degree, and advanced age, and they would be very lucky if the operation proceeded without any problems.

Once the rest of the team assembled around Kate, gone over the standard checklist, and put on a playlist she knew everyone would be content with, Kate glanced over at Dennis.

"Are we good to go then?"

"Good to go. And if anything's not good at any point you'll be sure to hear from me." He gave a nod and his head disappeared behind the drape as he sat down on his chair.

***

Rose didn't appear.

Not for the next case. Not for the one after. When Kate was done with her case list for the day she made her way to her office to finish some paperwork. They had finished roughly on time, which was never guaranteed. Delays could come in all forms and shapes, she had quickly learned that after she became part of a surgical team.

Office work was her least favorite part of the job, but that too was required. The hospital had changed their electronic medical records software recently, meaning some things had gotten easier while others she was still figuring out. At the present time her mind was more focused on what Rose might do next than the form she was filling in, so work was slow. She was pecking away at her keyboard when someone knocked on the door. The sound alone was enough to put her on full alert.

This time she got up to open the door herself. If it was Rose, which was likely as most patients wouldn't approach her this late in the day, she didn't want to be caught off-guard.

Turned out she was right.

Rose briefly made eye contact before she looked off to the side. "Is it okay if I come on in?"

Kate was surprised to see her acting so timidly. It looked like she really had changed her whole strategy around.

"May I?" Rose said and Kate realized she'd forgotten to answer.

"Yes, yes of course. Sit down." Kate motioned to the empty chair she kept for patients.

Her mind was racing, recalling the kiss and wondering whether to mention it or not. Probably not. It had made a mess of things last time, then again who was to say she wouldn't have made a bigger mess if she hadn't- Kate forced her train of thought to a stop right there. Rose had come and she probably had something she wanted to say. Better focus on that.

"So, I'm still not sure what exactly happened last time, though that's not what I came to talk about." She gave a wave of her hand, as if shooing the topic away. "I said that I'd be willing to consult with you regarding the next surgery I would observe, and I'd still like that so here I am. I know you're not very eager about this, but I thought maybe actually talking could make it easier."

Kate gave a slow nod as she thought. "Yeah. Yeah I think it does."

It would offer her some time to alter her case mix, provided Rose wasn't too pushy.

"You know, I'm rather tired right now. I have a bunch of complicated repairs behind me and I've been doing paperwork. On our new electronic system which," she paused as she tried to figure out how negative she would be allowed to sound, "leaves some things to be desired."

Rose folded her hands and nodded. "I suppose that's reasonable. But you are willing to talk, right? Could we have a chat in the morning?"

Kate mentally went over her schedule. "The day after tomorrow? I'll be discussing upcoming cases with patients that day, meaning it should be easier to fit you into my schedule."

"Sounds good." Rose stood and extended her hand. "I'm looking forward to our cooperation."

Knowing that she wouldn't exactly be cooperating, at least not the way she was supposed to, Kate just put on her best smile and shook Rose's hand without saying anything.