Chapter 40 - With Love

The Italian restaurant Kate had chosen for their dinner date was packed. It had a rustic interior, a stone wall running along one side of the locale and all of the furniture being made from wood. At a quick glance, not a single table appeared to be free. The scent of the food wafting over to them was making Kate's mouth water already.

Rose shot her a glance. "Are we going to have to wait for a table to free up?"

"I reserved one in advance," Kate explained. "This place only opened recently but they've been getting great reviews. I figured you might already have tried all the restaurants that existed last time you were here, and eating a microwave dinner at my place just doesn't have the same feel to it."

Rose chuckled. "I appreciate it."

It didn't take long before a waiter came by. Kate mentioned her reservation and they were shown to a table back in a corner of the restaurant. She had specifically requested the placement as it would make it easier to talk. Italian music played throughout the restaurant, but their table was situated some distance from the speakers.

"Nervous? Your palm is getting damp," Rose commented.

At that moment Kate realized that she was still holding Rose's hand. She apologized and let go. Rose chuckled at her as they took their seats at the table.

"How are you always so calm about everything?" Kate huffed in slight annoyance.

Rose smiled at her. "I'll let you in on a secret. I'm not. I'm just good at pretending to be." She reached her hand across the table and squeezed Kate's. "Not to mention I like the effect is has on my flirting."

"You're devious," Kate replied with a laugh.

They opened up their menus, Rose settling for pasta and Kate following suit. The food turned out to be as good as the reviews said, but Kate found herself more preoccupied with Rose.

"So, what has my favorite surgeon been up to?" Rose asked, a cheeky grin on her face.

The line was cheesy but it still had an effect on Kate. Just as her heart rate had begun to calm down, it shot up once again.

"I'm your favorite now? That's drastic," Kate finally managed.

"You could say that's my hope for the future," Rose smiled. "I've got a hunch that you're not entirely averse to the thought."

That was right, and by the look on Rose's face it was written all over Kate's. No point in saying it out loud then. Kate moved on to answer the question instead.

"Oh, you know, the usual. Saving lives where I can and trying to keep mine decent enough when I'm off the clock."

Rose leaned in closer and lowered her voice. "You know, I've come across another team like you and your colleague."

"Did you approach them?" Kate felt a sudden worry. By the sound of it Rose was talking about witchcraft, and she hoped Rose hadn't exposed the team she was talking about. Especially as the experience with Kate, or Mari as it was in Rose's mind, ought to have taught her better.

Rose held up her hand in a defensive gesture. "No, of course not! I didn't want to cause trouble for them as well." She bit her lip and looked off to the side. "I just thought it was interesting that there are others out there doing the same thing. Though I guess you wouldn't be connected in any way." She turned to look at Kate and sighed again. "Must get lonely. It's a good thing your colleague has got you to work with. I mean, I sure know I've felt lost at times."

She must be referring to her ability to see magic, Kate reasoned. As Rose thought Kate to be the same, she probably expected her to respond in turn. Kate settled on an answer that wasn't a lie, but not the entire truth either.

"You're right. It got really lonely at times, and part of me wanted to look for a group. On the other hand, it's so uncommon, you know?" Kate smiled wryly. Both because she was withholding information from Rose, but also because she had felt the wish for a community tearing at her.

"I understand that it's not your favorite topic, but if you'd be willing to talk about it some day I'd love that," Rose said. "Over at your place, or mine of course," she hastily added.

"Perhaps," Kate shrugged, trying to appear indifferent. It might be a good way of testing the waters, but she wasn't ready for it at this point.

"No rush of course. I'd hate to ruin things a second time as the result of my impatience," Rose said.

"I appreciate it," Kate smiled. The fact that Rose was leaving the choice to her bode well for their relationship.

Once they had finished their dinner and split the bill, Kate offered to show Rose around town. They walked down the main shopping street, which was increasingly turning into just a street but still retained several small shops. It still retained its cobblestone paving from the old days, and Rose had to lean on Kate once to avoid tripping in her heels but they laughed about it together. Lured by the smell of fresh baked goods, they picked up some croissants from a bakery that had existed in the same spot for at least twenty years, then decided to head for a nearby park. After about ten minutes of walking they sat down on a park bench that stood beneath an old willow tree.

Rose leaned onto Kate's shoulder. "This is nice," she said in a soft voice.

Kate didn't pull away, having hoped for this development. Not to mention the fact that it felt so right. She placed her hand on top of Rose's and inhaled a deep breath. The scent of nature was mixing with that of Rose, and it made her feel at ease. Rose chuckled and entwined her fingers with Kate's. This feeling - Kate recalled Mari's words of advice - she thought it might just be worth taking a chance on.

"So... are you staying long enough to make it for another date next week?" Kate asked after a long while of silently enjoying Rose's company.

Rose smiled. "I might just be."