Chapter 3 - Leather

Cause I'm a picker, I'm a grinner
I'm a lover, and I'm a sinner
I play my music in the sun
I'm a joker, I'm a smoker
I'm a midnight toker
I sure don't want to hurt no one

(The Joker - Steve Miller Band)

Singing along to my car radio, I drive to the studio's. There is not a lot of traffic, as the morning rush hour hasn't started yet. This song by Steve Miller Band is excellent for improving my mood and I am singing along on the top of my lungs.

After bawling my eyes out last night, alone on the couch, I took a hot shower and went to bed. William came in a little after midnight, but I pretended I didn't wake up to him coming in the room. I don't know where he has been yesterday evening and I didn't ask this morning. We had breakfast like we do most days now, with sentences like 'Can you pass me the milk?' and 'Ben, you have to stay in your seat until you have finished your breakfast'.
William has the morning off and in the afternoon his mother will look after Ben, so I can focus on my job today without worrying about the little guy. Also, while Will and I have our difficulties, he is a great dad to Ben. I will never say anything against that.

I put my troubles to the back of my mind and focus on the song again. I had a great day at work yesterday and I hope the rest of the production will be as good as the start. The crew is really nice, I love working with my friends Paul and Kora and I've met some great new people. I park my car, say hello to Sherman and report to Mrs. Rubeo with my colleagues. We start the days early with a meeting, to talk over what has to be done that day. After that, we make sure everything is ready for when the actors come out of Makeup.

When I am done prepping, I take a short break on a bench in the hall and enjoy a cup of tea.
"Good morning, darling," I hear a deep voice calling at me. It's Tom, with his on set assistant in tow. Or should I say Loki, as he is the God of Mischief from the neck up.
"Good morning, Tom, Marco," I say to the two men.
"Oh, tea. Always a good idea," Tom says when he sees my half empty cup. "Marco, could you get me some tea, please?"
The young assistant walks back the way he came, in search for the tea maker. "It's in the office!" I call after him and walk over to Tom, who is holding the door of his dressing room for me.

"I believe you have a different get up for me today?" the tall British man says when we stand before the rack in the room.
"I do. I hope you like Lederhosen."
He makes a face at me. "I've been to Octoberfest once, not my best look."
"Then I hope you like these better," I tell him, showing him the garments he has to wear today. It's a completely different outfit than Loki wore in the previous movies. Other cut, other colours, it will make the God of Mischief look like a whole new person.

When Tom is all dressed up, I look him up and down. He stretches his arms out to the side and turns around for me. "What do you think?"
I put my thumbs up. "You look good!"
The actor looks at himself in the large mirror of the vanity table. "It's a different Loki this time, it feels different too."
I peek around him to watch his face in the mirror. "I can imagine. The familiar black and green is gone."
Tom turns to me. "Which do you like better?"
"What do you think? I'm on Mrs. Rubeo's team, we designed this." The actor is standing pretty close to me, so I have to crane my neck to look him in the eye.
He tilts his head a little to the side, a sparkle in his eyes. "That's not really an answer, is it?"
I start to laugh at his inquisition and decide to humor him. "Well.. I really like this costume, because I think it fits the whole Jack Kirby vibe of the movie perfectly."
"But?" Tom asks, a smirk slowly forming on his face.
"But," I repeat to him, "well... I just loved what Wendy Partridge did with your costume in The Dark World. Hair, makeup, costume... that was a great Loki."
He nods approvingly. "She did a great job designing the costumes for that production, yes. This one is a little easier to wear though." When he moves the leather creaks a little. "Although I could do without Loki's affinity for leather. Luckily we're shooting this in the Australian winter, or this costume would turn into a sauna."
That last remark gives me a flash of Tom Hiddleston in a sauna, something I quickly discard from my mind. I have to work with this man, not fantasize about how great he would look without his clothes.