Chapter 5 - Decisions

There's a stranger in my bed
There's a pounding my head
Glitter all over the room
Pink flamingos in the pool
I smell like a minibar
DJ's passed out in the yard
Barbie's on the barbecue
This a hickey or a bruise?
Pictures of last night
Ended up online
I'm screwed
Oh well
It's a blacked out blur
But I'm pretty sure it ruled, damn

(Last friday night - Katy Perry)

I've got Katy Perry's song in my head, fighting for dominance with a serious headache. I really drank too much last night, the pounding in my head can easily replace the beat of the song that is stuck there. It was no friday night and there wasn't a strange male person in my bed this morning, as long as you don't count Kora's cat as a stranger. However, there is a little hole in my memory, I had to ask Kora how we got home and if anything happened I should know about. To my relief it wasn't anything more exciting than getting a taxi from the bar, after I dozed off at our table.

My team has taken care of Jeff and his golden outfit, so after I have dressed Tom I go in search of some Advil. I already took some early this morning, but I need another dose to really help me through this day. I find some in the First Aid box in the office and then I go to the set. Paul grins at me when he sees me downing a bottle of water in a single gulp. I take another from the caterer and lift it up in a toast to my friend before I put it in my pocket for later.

My friends did not have as much to drink as I did, they had listened to me rambling about all the drama with William, filling my glass with strong liquor and my ears with good advice. After my talk with Tom - and hug, don't forget the hug - I had thought about it for the rest of the day and I kept circling back to the same conclusion: my relationship with William is over. We live in the same house, taking care of our child, but that is really all that is left of us. Talking it over with Paul and Kora only made me more sure of it.

Next week my mum will come to Brisbane, to pick up Ben and take him with her for three weeks. My mother in law has to undergo surgery at her foot and will not be able to walk for a couple of weeks, so looking after a three year old is out of the question. Because I have to work long and sometimes irregular hours at the film set and William has to work at the garage, we have arranged for my parents to look after Ben for a while. This was all prearranged weeks ago, but now it provides the perfect opportunity to talk to William about what needs to be done without worrying about our son. Of course I don't know how William feels about the whole thing, we don't seem to be able to really talk about it, other than yelling accusations at each other's heads. However, we owe it to our son to have a serious talk about it. I am certainly not looking forward to it, but I feel resolved to do something about the shitty situation we're in. And that makes me feel good, in a sort of sad way. Kind of when your nan passes after a long, healthy life: you feel sad that she is gone, but you're at peace with it. I may not love William anymore, but he has given me the love of my life: our son. I'm gonna try my hardest to end the relationship in the most civil way possible.

The Advil does it's work and I shake off my melancholy thoughts. I am listening to Katy Perry's song again, just for fun now. Maisy shares one of the earbuds with me and we are singing along wholeheartedly, much to the amusement of the people around us. They are just rehearsing some action scenes on set, so there is no need to be quiet.

It's always funny to watch action scenes, especially when you're shooting a movie which has a lot of CGI. The actors move in front of big blue or green screens, often playing their part without seeing who they are up against. Hulk is completely computer generated for instance, so Chris Hemsworth's scenes in the fighting pit this week was just him running around an empty set. Today it's kind of the same thing, because they are filming the fight on the rainbow bridge. Or parts of it, at least, they are shooting this in multiple sequences.