Chapter 19 - Star crossed lovers

And all the roads we have to walk are winding
And all the lights that lead us there are blinding
There are many things that I
Would like to say to you but I don't know how

Because maybe, you're gonna be the one that saves me
And after all, you're my wonderwall

(Wonderwall - Oasis)

Although Chris was notified last week I will be taking over from Paul, he still looks surprised when he walks in his dressing room and sees me. "Good morning, Victoria. I heard we'll be working together now?"
"That's right," I tell him in a chipper voice. "I take it that's not a problem?"
"Of course not," he smiles at me. "Unless you insist on dressing me like a witch."
"Black suit is already in storage," I smirk.

There's a knock on the door and one of the crew members pops his head in. "You can take your time. Shooting is delayed for an hour or two."
"Wonder what that's about?" I say to Chris when the door is closed again.
"Dunno," he shrugs. "But it means I don't have to strap on armour right now. I'll just go see Taika. See you later!"

Chris strolls out the door and when I get in the hallway a little later I see a lot of people just milling around. I ask around to find out what's up, but I'm not getting any wiser. It has something to do with one of the actors, but as most of them are with Taika now, I still don't know much.

I pop into Mrs. Rubeo's office, where the rest of the team is already present. "What's going on guys? Why aren't we shooting?"
"Mr. Hiddleston's plane was delayed. He missed his connecting flight," Mrs. Rubeo answers. There's some murmuring around the office. Paul and I look at each other to check if the other knows more about it, but we both shrug to say we don't.

"Well, that's just peachy," Kora says. "What are we gonna do? Sit around on our butts until he's here?"
"No, let's take the outfits with us to set," Mrs. Rubeo decides. "That way we are ready when they are and we don't have to go back and forth between the set and the dressing rooms."

We leave the office to pack up everything we need. "Did you know Tom missed his flight?" Paul asks when he helps me check whether I've got everything for Thor.
"No. I haven't heard from Tom since he boarded back in London. He was supposed to land in the middle of the night, saturday. He's over a day late now." I hope nothing's happened, but I'm sure we would have heard it if something serious was the matter. I do wonder why Tom hasn't been in contact with me, you would think he would tell me if something like this happened. I had been hoping to hear from him the whole sunday, I can't count the times I checked my phone for new messages. I had told myself he was probably jetlagged and was catching up on sleep before coming into work this morning, even though I was bitterly disappointed he chose sleep over getting in touch with me.

When we get to the set, word goes round Tom is in Makeup, so we'll be good to go in about an hour. There's a restless vibe on set, people have been thrown off their routine and most of 'm don't like that. I'm guessing Tom's gonna have to say a lot of sorry's, luckily he's good at that. He's gonna have to save a major 'sorry' for me though.

---------—————-

When I get out of the car Marco is already on the lookout for me. "They're waiting for you, Tom."
"Geez, you think?!" That sounded way more sarcastic than I meant. "Sorry, Marco. Let's just hurry and get to Makeup."

I hand him my backpack. "I had to get a new phone, SIM card information is in the bag. Will you make sure everybody gets my new number?" I reconsider and give him the phone from my pocket too. "Better yet, please put their numbers in my phone too. Can you do that? Password is still on four zero's."

Marco takes my bag and phone from me and promises he will take care of it. Before I walk up the stairs to Makeup he clears his throat to make me turn back to him. "Uh, by everyone you don't mean literally everyone, do you?"
I hold in an irritated sigh. "No, Marco. Just the people I work with directly. The people I would call if I was running late for instance." He's still looking a little unsure, not the best thing if you're in a hurry. I start to jog up the stairs. "Just put in Taika, Chris, Paulette from Makeup and Victoria from the Costume department for now," I call over my shoulder.
"Don't you mean Paul?" he calls after me.
"Whatever, mate. Just get it done!"

Paulette and Carl work their wonders in record time and I get my butt to the set as soon as possible, Marco said they'll have my costume ready there.

I walk on set telling everyone in sight I'm sorry, it's clear they're not very happy with me. Marco steers me in the direction of Paul and the Maori woman, I think her name's Kora. They dress me in Loki's costume, four hands tugging and pulling at the garments at the same time. I briefly wonder where Vicky is, but I have to keep my head in the game. They need me in front of that camera, time is money and I already lost them almost three hours.

There's only one good thing about missing my bloody flight because of some endangered birds on the runway and a defect to the engine and that is being able to catch up on sleep to minimise the jetlag. Other than that, my trip back to Australia has been an utter disaster.

I love animals, but I don't think I would have protested if they had shot the birds instead of trying to scare them away. The damned birds flew up only to return to the runway not a minute later. Four times in a fucking row. When we took off half an hour later there was still enough time to catch my connecting flight, but that plane stranded because of a problem with the engine. The next two flights were fully booked and being Tom Hiddleston, famous actor, had not made any difference. Not that I would dare to use my fame for something like that, that would've been an appalling thing to do. So I just had to wait my turn and book a flight that would get me late on set. Dropping my phone in the toilet had just been the cherry on top. The damned thing disappeared in no time, as it was one of those automatic flush toilets. I don't think I've ever said that many swear words in one sentence. Stranded on an airfield without my phone, I've certainly had better days. The only person I could call from the top of my head was my mum: who remembers phone numbers nowadays? Mum informed Luke of my misfortune and he contacted the people in Australia. At least they now knew I was going to be late. But I couldn't get in touch with Vicky, no matter how much I'd liked to do just that. In London there had been a lot of doubt, fueled by Luke and my friends, who highlighted the impossibilities or downsides of a relationship with an Australian single mother. But when I stepped on that plane, I was just very much looking forward to seeing her again. I realised I had missed her, more than I would have thought.

Over lunch I paint Taika and Chris the story of what happened on my trip and I excuse myself again and again.
"Shit happens, mate," Taika says. "That's what I told the producers too. But they aren't too happy about the lost time."
"I can imagine that," I answer, cleaning out the last bit of rice and curry on my plate. "Better start again then. Time is money."

Taika and Chris get up from their seats, which is a signal for the rest of the crew to get ready again too. I look around for Vicky in the crowd and spot her blonde hair on the other side of the set. I haven't been able to talk to her yet, I've been too focussed on making up for the lost time. I hate being the cause of these kind of problems, definitely when it's affecting this many people.

Chris bumps my shoulder when he bustles past me. "By the way, thanks for passing on the pretty girl to me, mate!"
I haven't got a clue what he means, but he is already several steps in front of me. Vicky, Paul and Kora are waiting for us, garments in hand. Tessa is the first one there, putting on her grey upper body armour with help from Kora. I make a beeline for Vicky, feeling all excited now I finally have the chance to greet her. My smile is replaced with confusion when Chris stops in front of her, arms ready to get his armour strapped on.

"Here you are, Tom," Paul says next to me and holds up the leather jacket I'm supposed to put on. He was also the one who took it from me when lunch break started, I realise now. I had been too busy discussing the scene with my co-stars to really notice.

"Uh, Paul... why did you and Vicky switch?" I look up from fumbling with the hidden zipper. Paul's experienced hands take over and zip the damn thing up in one try. "Don't ask me. You're the one who requested it."
"I did?" I must be more jetlagged than I thought. But I can't ask for an explanation as Taika calls me to the set. I hurry over to my director, I don't know what's going on, but it will have to wait.

----------———