Chapter 18 - In doubt

You and me
We used to be together
Everyday together always
I really feel
That I'm losing my best friend
I can't believe
This could be the end
It looks as though you're letting go
And if it's real
Well I don't want to know

(Don't speak - No Doubt)

When we step into the living room Ben immediately spots the new cabinet for his toys and runs towards it. He pulls the bins open and discovers the wooden train set in one of them. "T'ain!" he yells, holding up a part of the bridge. The train set is a gift from Paul and Kora, we went to Ikea the weekend before I flew to Melbourne to buy some new furniture. Dividing the furniture between me and Will left me in need of some new pieces. I bought a new bed, an armchair, new covers for my throw pillows to match the new colour on the walls and some kitchen utensils.

It looks like a whole new home and I like it. It's a new start. The meeting with the mediator went well, although we're gonna need some more meetings to get everything settled. But Will and I can see eye to eye without arguing, which is something I am grateful for. I think we can end up as friends. He also helped to get the place ready before Ben got home, moving out his stuff the day after the meeting with the mediator.

We also made arrangements for the remaining period I'm working full time at the production of Thor. Ben will be staying with his dad and nan from monday to friday, with me having dinner there on tuesdays and thursdays. That last detail was actually Will's idea, to my surprise. We're gonna ease Ben into it this way. It'll be fine, he's looking forward to another sleepover.

Somewhere in the night between this saturday and sunday Tom's plane will touch down on Australian soil. He sent me a text from London Heathrow to let me know he was coming this way again. Our texts have dwindled down after the first few days. Tom was very busy, his publicist had taken him from meeting to meeting. The time difference made it a little hard to find a time to talk. Either I was already at work before Tom's day was done, or something else got in the way.

And then I got called in the office by my boss...

Mrs. Rubeo made me sit down in the chair in front of her desk. I shifted in my seat, unsure what this was about. I mean, I could think of a number of things, but I had tried to make sure my work wasn't affected by all the turmoil in my personal life. Unless this was about those two hours of snoring in Tom's dressing room.

"Victoria, I want to talk to you about something," Mrs. Rubeo starts, folding her hands under her chin to look at me directly. "I know there's a lot going on with you at home and while this could easily affect your work, I have not seen much signs of that. But, apparently, others have."
"Oh?" I'm really surprised by this. "Did someone complain about my work? No one has come to me directly about it."
"I got an email yesterday, from Mr. Hiddleston's publicist. He's requesting to assign you to another actor. He asks that you no longer assist his cliënt."

The colour draws from my face and for a few seconds I just stare at my boss. "Did..." I have to clear my throat and start over. "Did Mr. Hiddleston request this himself?"
"I don't know. His publicist send the email." She looks at her computer. "Mr. Windsor."
"Luke Windsor, yes. Did he say why I can no longer assist his cliënt?" My heart is beating rapidly in my chest. Did Tom ask for this himself? Why would he do that?

Mrs. Rubeo scans the email, her glasses at the tip of her nose. "It says 'for professional reasons'. And 'to focus on the performance of his cliënt'. That's all. Do you know what it means?"
I shake my head. "Not really. Tom and I... we get along really well. I didn't think there would be a problem."
"Yes, you two seemed to hit it off just fine," Mrs. Rubeo says casually, clicking on something on the computer. She turns to face me again. "If it was just me, I would continue as we are doing now. But I rarely get requests like this and because this concerns one of the lead stars for this production, I am inclined to grant the request."
"I understand," I answer slowly. "I really like working with Tom, err... Mr. Hiddleston, but I guess it doesn't make much difference as we're all part of the same team anyway."
"Thank you for understanding, Victoria," Mrs. Rubeo says. "Now, do you have a suggestion for the swap? You'll have to switch places with one of your colleagues."
"Maybe Paul or Kora?" I suggest. "We have roughly the same tasks. Marsha has a whole other routine with the extras." Besides, my friends will be more open to trading places with me. Especially since they know what's going on between me and Tom. That is, if I still know what's going on. Why would Tom want someone else to dress him?
"Good idea. I'll ask them. Again, thank you for understanding." Mrs. Rubeo finishes up the conversation.
"No problem. Thanks for discussing this with me first." I stand up from my chair and walk to the door, pausing when my boss reacts.
"You're a valued member of the team, Victoria. I'm sure this is just some movie star whim." She gives me an encouraging smile.
"Who knows. If you'll excuse me, I'll go back to help Marsha."