Chapter 21 - You are my favourite song

cause you're my favourite song
my favourite song
you're my favourite song
my favourite song

(Favorite song - Pete Philly)

Yesterday was the last day of shooting at the studio's. There are some loose scenes left, but they will be shot on location and they won't need the whole crew. So tonight is the wrap party. I've never worked on a film this big, with nearly a thousand people involved.

It's the first thing I think of when I wake up: the production of Thor Ragnarok is done. Second is 'where is Tom?', as I am alone in the bed. I glance at my alarm clock, it's 8 in the morning. Maybe Tom is out for his run, he's always up early. The moment I wonder why I haven't heard Ben yet, I can hear his little voice in the hall. I also hear Tom, who tries to shush Ben as 'not to wake up mommy'. Ben pushes to open the door to the bedroom and Tom starts singing 'Happy Birthday', with Ben joining in. My son jumps up the bed, letting himself fall on the pillow next to me. "B'eakfast in bed, mummy! I made you toast!".

Carefully Tom puts the tray on the bed and leans over to kiss me. "Good morning, my love. Happy birthday!" I put my hand on his cheek, holding him in place to lengthen the kiss.

Ben crawls on top of me to get between us, something he does often when we kiss. He's used to seeing Tom in the house on weekends and as Tom is always up early to go running, he doesn't see us in bed together when he comes to my bed in the morning. Ben has accepted Tom as mummy's friend and as a big playmate. Finding out Tom can lay out the most complex train tracks was a big hit with Ben. It's just the kissing that he finds a bit awkward and that's okay. Tom is great with Ben and really respects the little man's feelings, giving him all the room he needs.

Tom has made us toast, croissants, scrambled eggs, tea and fresh orange juice. It's a picnic in bed, with Tom and myself alternately preventing Ben from falling on top of the food. My three year old has discovered the art of jumping on the bed and that is something that has to be practiced thoroughly.

"I think it's time for presents," Tom says, putting the tray away after everybody has had their fill. He pulls a large paper bag from under the bed, filled with wrapped gifts.

"Mine! Mine first!" Ben calls out and Tom gives him a flat package with a bow, which Ben in turn gives to me. It's a framed drawing he made of me and him on the swing, at least, that's what it says underneath it in Tom's handwriting. I can recognise two little figures, basically stretched circular shapes with legs and eyes, the rest of the drawing is just filled with the random lines of a three year old.
"I love it, honey, thank you!" I pull Ben in for a hug and a kiss, to which he protests when it takes too long for him.

There are three other gifts, all from Tom. "The big one first," he says, handing me a wrapped box that only just fitted in the bag.
"I hope you didn't went out of your way for me," I tell him, hooking my fingers behind the scotch tape to unwrap the present.
"It's your birthday, I'm entitled to spoil my girl." Tom smirks at me.

The big present is a retro looking record player, definitely an upgrade to my old and battered record player, which has seen it's best days. For Ben's sake I don't kiss Tom to thank him, but settle for blowing a kiss in his direction. "Thank you so much. You shouldn't have, of course, but this is great!"

Tom hands me another gift, this time it's a small one, flat and rectangular. I open it up and start laughing immediately: he got me a green phone case with the logo of Loki's helmet on it. "Something to remember how we met," Tom says with a goofy grin. "I couldn't resist."
"You're a dork," I chuckle. "But a loveable dork. Thanks, babe."

"Don't babe me yet, the best is yet to come!" Tom pulls an envelope from the now empty paper bag and gives it to me.
"What is this?" I ask him, slowly opening the envelope. There's a card inside, with a VW campervan on it. Inside is a message: 'Want to go on a road trip with me? Love, Tom'. And there's a business card of a car rental company. I look at Tom, who is beaming at me from the foot end of the bed. Ben has lost his interest and is playing with the wrapping paper on the floor. "Are we going on a trip? When?"
"This wednesday," Tom answers with a big smile. "You, me and Ben, in a campervan."
"You're kidding!" My eyes grow big. "But..."
"But what? Don't you like it?"
"I love it! However... do you really want to go on a holiday with a preschooler?" I look at the lovely man across from me, my eyes filled with doubt.
"Sure," he shrugs. "What's the worst that can happen?"
"Well, I can imagine a number of things, all ending with you running away screaming."
"Ehehehe," Tom laughs and gets on the bed on all fours to crawl over to me and kiss me. "I'm not going anywhere, my love." I'm not yet convinced and Tom notices it, as he always does. "Everything's arranged, darling, the only thing you have to do is pack."

"But what about William? I can't take Ben on a trip without telling him." I don't know if Will would like it very much if Ben came on a road trip with me and Tom. Of course my ex knows I'm seeing Tom, I didn't want him to find out through Ben's stories. Will doesn't mind that much, as he is seeing someone too, a girl he knows from the gym. As far as I know she's not the same as the girl he spend the night with when we just broke up.
"William knows and is ok with it. I asked Paul to help with that." Tom is looking very smug, as he seems to have thought of everything.

"But..." I protest, having trouble to process what I'm hearing.
Tom takes me into a bear hug to tickle me. "I don't want to hear any more buts!" he growls softly in my ear, using his Loki voice. "You're coming on this trip with me and Ben and that's it."

That night we go to the QT Gold Coast Hotel for the wrap party. I go in with Paul and Kora, leaving Tom, Chris and the rest to the press. Most of the crew knows we're dating, but we agreed to keep a low profile. The press doesn't need to know about us, to avoid bad press for Tom, but also to protect my privacy. I've worked with Chris for the remainder of the production for roughly the same reason. Besides, Luke was right, it's good to keep work and personal stuff like this separated.

It's a casual party, most people are just wearing their regular clothes. I put on a jersey dress, a royal blue one with a flared skirt Tom likes to see me in. This QT Hotel is decorated in a beach style anyway, so dressing up fancy would have made me feel out of place.

Ben is with his dad and nan for tonight, when I brought him over at the end of the afternoon Monica surprised me with a bouquet for my birthday, Will's name was on the card too. Our arrangement for Ben for the duration of the Thor production worked out wonderfully. At first it was a little awkward to have dinner with Will and his mother, but we soon all got used to it. And Ben was happy and that's the most important thing.

The party is lots of fun, there's drinking, there's dancing and everybody's talking together. I have some fun on the dancefloor with Tom and my friends, before Tom disappears to talk to Taika or some other members of the crew. I don't mind, he's coming home with me anyway.

Suddenly, strong arms snake around my waist from behind. "Come with me, my love," Tom whispers in my ear. He takes my hands and spins me around underneath his arm, putting his hand on the small of my back to guide me away from the party. We get our coats on our way out of the hotel and walk the streets to the Esplanade alongside the beach. There's a crossing and Tom takes me onto the beach for a stroll underneath the stars. I'm glad I took my coat, as it's a bit cold on the seaside. But I would not miss this for the world, listening to the waves in the dark, with the world's sweetest man at my side. My tall, handsome gentleman halts just out of reach of the incoming tide, pulling me flush against him for a kiss. His lips are warm against mine, we melt together like we're alone in the universe. I was a bit cold before, but it doesn't take long for Tom to make me glow from the inside.

"Work is almost done," he says after a few moments of silence, a hint of sadness in his voice. I know what he means, after shooting the last couple of scenes on location, our time at work together is over. Tom will be staying for another month in Australia, before he is needed back in London. That's why he arranged for us to go on a road trip together, to spend some quality time before we'll have to part for an uncertain amount of time. We've talked about it and we both really want to make a long distance relationship work. Tom already asked Luke to expand his network to Australian agency's, to scout for acting jobs that would take him back Down Under. The amount of trouble Tom is willing to go through for us continues to amaze me. My son, my ex, the sheer distance between our hometowns, he just takes it all in stride, always seeing things in a positive light.

"But we're not done," I answer, giving him another kiss. "At least, I'm not done with you."
Tom kisses me back, deepening the kiss before he cups my face with his hand. "I love you, Vicky."
"I love you too," I breathe, pulling him closer again. He unbuttons his coat to wrap me inside. In his warm embrace, hidden behind his coattails, I listen to him humm a tune I don't know.
"What's that song?" I ask, snuggling up to his chest.
"I found it yesterday on YouTube, it reminded me of you," Tom answers softly. "It says you're my favourite song."