Chapter 9 - My house is your house

Cool town, evening in the city
Dressing so fine and looking so pretty
Cool cat, looking for a kitty
Gonna look in every corner of the city
Till I'm wheezing like a bus stop
Running up the stairs, gonna meet you on the rooftop
But at night it's a different world
Go out and find a girl
Come-on come-on and dance all night
Despite the heat it'll be alright

(Summer in the city - Lovin' Spoonful)

Paul had said I could call his mediator friend on a saturday, so I did, with William's consent. We set a meeting for the week after this one, as I will not be as busy on set that week. They will be shooting without Loki for almost two weeks, so I will not be needed that much on set.

When I proposed to William he could maybe move in with his mum for a while, that didn't go down well. He yelled at me and it didn't take long before I yelled back, despite my better judgement. He walked out on our fight, like he has done so often before.
I just thought to kill two birds with one stone, as his mother has the surgery on her foot on monday. But I guess I should have started with that, not just saying I thought it was a good idea for him to move in with her.

My mother will arrive on tuesday to pick up Ben, so I'm making the most of my weekend with him. We go to the petting zoo and we make a tent in the living room. William gets home around noon on sunday, when Ben and I are inside the tent. Ben invites his daddy to get in the tent too and Will crawls in. We stare at each other in the dusk underneath the blankets, Ben babbling about the goat that bumped into him at the petting zoo.

"I'm sorry about yesterday," I say softly to Will over Ben's head, because I am sorry about the way I handled it. Will just nods and I suspect he's not that mad anymore. After a few minutes he excuses himself to get a shower. He's still wearing the same clothes as yesterday, I guess he spent the night at a friend's house.

On monday I don't have to start as early as other days, because we will be shooting in the city for the next two days. Today the crew will prepare everything and tomorrow the actors will come in to do their thing. I drive to the studio's first, to help gather everything we'll need for the next two days. We have been packing already on friday, so it won't take long.

Together with Kora I load up the racks of clothes in the van. Mrs. Rubeo is checking the lists one last time. "I think we have everything, ladies," she says, ticking off the last box on her clipboard.

When we get to the set in the middle of Brisbane, I get a taste of how big the Marvel movies really are. The actors aren't even here yet, it's just the crew that is setting everything up, but already there is quite a crowd. The whole day there are people watching the circus that is a movie production on location.

We are done early, so I pop by the hospital to visit Monica. I find her with her foot propped up on a cushion, eating a sandwich. Apparently I have just missed William and Ben, who visited her this afternoon. The surgery went well and she expects to get home the next day. Her sister will pick her up and stay with her for a week. After that, she should be able to do things like going to the toilet by herself again.

"I promise I'll come by to help out as often as I can," I tell her.
"Thanks, dear. But maybe you won't have too, I've asked Will if he would move back in for the time being."
I'm surprised to hear that. "What did he say? I said something like that yesterday and that did not go down well."
Monica says he had to think about it. "But I think he will do it. It puts a little bit of distance between you two and he can help out his poor, old mother at the same time."
"You're not old," I smile at the woman in the hospital bed.
"Well, I feel old right now. Old and tired."
I get up to hug her. "Just get some sleep, you'll feel better again soon."