History

Oh boy, this is a huge part of world building.

You don't have to create countless books on the history of your world like Tolkien, but a basic idea of your world history is advisable.

Significant Events

Again, you don't need as much history as Middle Earth, but are there any events in your world's history that affect certain things? Wars? Decisions? Scientific breakthroughs? Penguin domination? It's good to invent a few events (what a tongue twister!) that affect your world today.

What did the event change?

Leading on from the last point, did the event lead to your world being the way it is today? For example, did the discovery of a plant change your world's medicine? Did the penguin domination of the local area lead to the penguins conquering the world, and now people are now put in zoos in place of penguins? Did a government decision lead to important laws being passed against cheese consumption? Any historical event that lead to changes is worth noting.

Other Questions to Consider

How much do your people know about the history of the world?

How does history affect art, education and culture?

Is history important in the education system?

If you have any more points to add to this list, comment down below and I will add it ASAP. Don't forget to vote if you liked this chapter, as that would be a great encouragement!

Next time, on Your Wonderful Guide to World Building - Culture! There's a lot more to this than what's on the surface, so brace yourselves.