The Arts - Part Two

Hello! It's summer now, and I'm excited. I hope you're excited for another world building chapter. Today, it's Part Two of The Arts, and today, we're going to be covering performances, dances, games and fashion.

Performances

This is to do with drama, theatre and being on stage.

What is performed? Original tales? Something adapted from a book?

Is drama important to the education system?

Where do these performances take place?

Who are the famous performers? What did they perform in?

Dances

Whether it's a competitive hobby or a tradition, describing dances in your world will make the culture and the festivals (if any) seem more detailed.

What dances are there?

Where did they originate?

How are they performed?

Are costumes worn?

Is dance simply a tradition for a festival, or is it a competitive hobby?

Is dance taught?

What is the significance of the dance?

Games

From parties to playgrounds, games are fun for everyone! (Except if it's The Hunger Games)

What are the games?

When/where/why are they played?

How do you play them? What are the rules?

Who plays the games?

How did the games originate?

Are they associated with a particular festival/tradition?

Fashion

This doesn't necessarily mean what's trending at the moment in your world. Well, it can, if it's relevant to the plot in some way, but I'm talking about the clothing people typically wear every day.

What style of clothes to people wear?

How are the clothes made?

What are they typically made from?

Do people normally make their own clothes?

Is there a type of clothing worn for special occasions?

Does your setting have a traditional outfit? What is it?

Does the clothing people wear change depending on the season?

If you're feeling artistic, it's time to whip out those loose sheets of paper/notebook and some device used for colouring I told you to have handy in Welcome, because you could have a go at designing a typical outfit that your main character should wear.

Take into consideration the climate and the local materials available, if this isn't set in a city that has everything readily available.

That's it for The Arts. I won't be publishing another chapter on Sunday as I'm going away, but I'll be publishing more chapters for The Irish Emporium and The 'Good' Healer so you'll have reading material for a few days.

Next time, on Your Wonderful Guide to World Building - Wildlife! From tiny organisms to enormous, dangerous species, what will your world have in its zoos?