Law

Hi guys! I'm a terrible person, but let's ignore that for now. Let's get into today's topic - Laws!

But wait - there's a problem. No Tumblr or blog posts cover this topic! (Dun dun dun!) Well, at least that I can't find. Today, you'll have to suffer through my own advice on creating a law system.

Tip 1 - Consider the story's setting

The type and amount of laws in a post apocalypse world are going to be vastly different from a peaceful village in Peaceland. The story's setting will determine what laws are in place.

Tip 2 - Think about why they exist

Are they there to protect people? 'Protect' people? Limit freedom? Keep the peace? This will be based on the setting and what happened in the past.

Tip 3 - Punishments and Penalties

This cover why people should actually pay attention to the laws. Is it fines? Prison sentence? Death? Banned from Tumblr?

Tip 4 - Services and Systems

Here we go - police and court. Or robots and interrogation, it really depends on the setting. Who catches you for breaking the laws, and what happens to you afterwards? If it applies to your story, get out those loose sheets of paper and design some uniforms.

Tip 5 - Be creative

In The Good Healer, (sorry for the advertising!) Leo is a policeman in the region of Firpine. Because it's a mountainous region, instead of police cars, the officers have wooden wings made for them to fly alongside their eagles, who patrol Firpine and the surrounding regions for any bother. Take into account the technology available in your world, the landscape, and any other factors that might affect a normal police force.

Other Questions

What are the conditions like in the prisons, if there are any?

How do people become part of the police force? Training? Hereditary? Social status?

Do people want to be part of it? Why/Why not?

What sort of crimes do the police usually deal with?

What sort of crimes are committed in your world?

How are crimes dealt with?

Are there any branches of the police department for certain types of crimes? Eg, Animal Abuse department, Domestic Violence department, Cyber Crimes (if relevant)

Do people respect the police? Why/Why not?

What is typical transport like for the police?

Do detectives exist? If so, what do they do?

Does forensic science exist for investigation? If not, is there an alternative?

Merry Christmas and a happy New Year! Next time, on Your Wonderful Guide to World Building - Trade and Industry! Does one region produce enormous amounts of fluffy blankets, and another that sells the most swords? Is there a black market for memes? Create this for your world in the next chapter!