Trade and Industry

Hello! Today we're going to be looking at trade and industry in your world.

1. What does your town/country/etc. export?

What do they manufacture and/or grow that they sell to other places? There could be candyfloss orchards and an aesthetic factory. They might pluck the next bestseller out of the ground and make the best donuts the world has ever seen. Or they might be normal and sell pumpkins.

This will depend on the type of place. A poor rural area won't be pumping out robots by the minute, and a polluted city is unlikely to grow nice apples. Use your imagination, but think as well!

2. What does the place import?

Does your city with the aesthetic factory import stardust and lipstick in every shade? Or the donut town might need five tonnes of sprinkles. You also need to think about location. A city with ten ports will likely get more exotic products imported than the village that has a travelling merchant come once a month.

The town could also import normal things, like steel and cotton. Use your imagination, but think!

3. How does this affect the economy?

You don't have to be an expert in business (I'm not!) to think about the basics. A place that exports the spare crops and imports only essentials will not be a rich place. They won't have the money to build factories to manufacture expensive products, so they are stuck in a cycle. They won't have soaring skyscrapers or good education. You see?

4. What about other businesses/trading?

Is there a black market? For example:

In a world where the Internet has been completely banned, a small gang of millennials and Gen-Z kids have a goal. In a dark alley, the fourteen year old met their next client - a twelve year old with a purple streak in their hair.

"I have the goods," the older one said. "Show me the payment." Shaking with excitement, the twelve year old held a smartphone up. They pressed play. The teenage gang member watched.

"That's a wholesome video. 14/10 doggo, a good boy. Make sure no one sees you, or there will be no more of these in the world, wholesome it otherwise." The gang member gave them the goods - memes.

"Thank you," the client said. "They're so relatable, so dank, so rare. Some wholesome ones as well! Much appreciated, my doggo will love these. Goodbye!"

"Much luck, such stealth for you."

I liked writing that! Anyway, you get the idea. Does the black market exist? What about smaller businesses?

That's all for today. If you have any suggestions or requests, please comment!

Next time, on Your Wonderful Guide to World Building - Architecture! Dog shaped buildings or cosy cabins? Decide next time.