16 | Everett

After Grier walked in on Finley and I, I didn't go after her or text her straight away. I felt so stupid and numb.

Of course with my luck, she would walk in just on that one moment.

The whole school week Grier only held small talk with me, which was better than her ignoring me. I could see why though.

To make it worse, it was the week the football team had state championship so she missed Pala's class every day of the week between the pep-rallies, playoff games, or practice.

I wanted to make things right with her and explain myself, but I didn't want to out Finley or say the wrong thing.

"Are you going to the football game tonight?" Jude asked me as we walked down the halls Friday after school

I shook my head, "Work."

"Sucks, but I'm in the same boat - college isn't going to pay for itself plus Christmas is coming up." Jude added

Oh, Christmas, the most expensive time of year.

"And my birthday." I reminded him

Jude nodded, "I know, how could I ever forget? We gotta start planning this weekend."

"Oh yeah, for sure." I assured him as we reached my car

"So, what's up with you and Grier?" Jude asked, finally getting to the elephant in the room

I let out a breath of air.

"I was gonna tell her how I felt and everything and kiss her, but I wanted to practice first. So I practiced on Finley, long story short, she walked in on Finley and I kissing now she thinks we're dating. It's just awkward." I explained

Jude scoffed, "She doesn't know that Finley is a lesbian?"

I shook my head, "No."

"Why don't you just tell her the truth?" Jude asked me

"I don't wanna out Finley and I don't know - she's cute when she's all jealous. I miss her though." I explained

Jude smirked, "You're a dirty man, Everett Griffin, I'll see you soon."

"Bye, Judy." I ended the conversation by getting into my car

I worked from four until nine, went home, ate dinner, showered, and then went to sleep.

The next morning I woke up at seven to go to the gym because hey - before you knew it, it was summer vacation.

How was I going to fully fix things with Grier?

Was I ever going to talk about the kiss?

The real question was if she was ever going to look at me the same again.

I wanted her to because she meant so much to me and I couldn't lose a good girl over something so stupid and so minor.

After the gym, I drove back home and went up to my room.

Maybe if I just showered and cleaned my room up a bit, it could give the illusion that everything was perfectly fine.

So that's what I did.

I took an extra long, hot shower, blasting music on my phone that I wish was louder.

I came to a conclusion: I was going to make this right, even if it killed me.

"Hey." I said somewhat confused as I walked into my bedroom

Grier looked at me, "Hey, your mom let me in. Finley called me last night and told me everything."