fifty-eight // promise

"it's your second time in here, isn't it?" calum asks as my hands move across the piano keys, playing a slower version of when you're gone by avril lavigne.

"yeah... how do you know?"

"i work here, but barely anyone bothers coming in here so it's easier keeping track of everyone who does," he smiles like he's impressed with his memory.

"sounds boring,"

"it is," he sighs and strums a note on his guitar before dropping his hands to his side and turning back to me, "how old are you?"

"um... nineteen?" my response comes out more like a question. it's just weird for a stranger to be so determined to get to know me. but i could just imagine how lonely it could get in this music store, especially when your top customer keeps running away from you.

"i'm seventeen, but i'm turning eighteen in a couple of days,"

"how did you get in uni so early?" i ask.

"i skipped a grade," i pull my hands away from the keys. he frowns, "why did you stop?"

"i should probably get going," he looks devastated.

"but you just got here!" he argues, "man, it's like your boyfriend all over again!"

"he's not my boyfriend, remember?" i say. i turn back to the keys and continue the song from where i left off, "i just got out of a relationship."

"really? what happened?"

i suck in a breath, "he cheated on me."

"how long were you with him?"

my chest tightens up, "three years,"

"three years? wow, you must feel like shit."

"you are really straightforward with your thoughts, you know that?" i laugh.

"sorry about that," he says, "so, do you like the piano? you want to buy it?"

i laugh, "such a good time for advertisement, huh?"

"it's a really nice piano," he says, "someone better buy it because i was forced to polish it."

i laugh again and pull my hands away from the piano, "really, i have to go."

he sighs, "okay... bye."

"it was nice talking to you, calum." he nods.

"you, too. promise you'll come back again?"

"promise."