sixty-seven // ceiling

"i'm sorry," ashton says. he pulls his hand away from his forehead and lets his hair fall back in front of his face, "i don't know what happened."

"i know. you were mad," i say. he unlocks the door and opens the door to the house. the two of us walk inside and slip off our winter boots.

ashton runs a hand through his hair and wipes his eyes with the back of his hand. my heart aches, wanting to see ash smile again. it breaks my heart to see him so upset.

"are you scared of me?" ashton asks, pulling the sleeves of his sweater over his bruised knuckle.

"no..."

he sucks in a breath and plays with his hair, "you ran away from me,"

"i was just kind of freaking out," i tell him.

"i couldn't control myself," he mumbles, "i'm sorry..."

"stop apologizing," i tell him.

"sorry," i roll my eyes with a smile on my face. my finger pokes his nose. he slowly looks up at me.

"come on, ash. stop beating yourself up about it." i say.

"i just thought I was getting better," he plays with his sleeves again.

"which i'm sure you are," i tell him, "i don't know what you were like before, but i'm sure you're getting better."

he sighs, "can i have my room back for today? i'll give it back to you tonight, i just... i need some time to cool off."

"sure," i smile at him before he disappears into his room and closes the door. i lie back on the couch and look up at the ceiling. what now?