Don't Even Say His Name

Chapter One

New York, New York

December 20th, 1998

All I want for Christmas is youuuuuuu, baby!

I love Christmas. It's my favorite time of year here in New York. The snow, the huge tree in Times Square... It's magical hot cocoa weather and I love it. Since I'm a California girl it's nice to see snow.

I've been in love with New York for as long as I can remember. I came here in nineteen ninety with my best friend and I never left. I mean, I do leave because my job takes me all over the world, but New York is home. Plus I have a kid that's already enrolled in the best private school. 

The doorbell rings making me squeal in excitement. Another reason I love Christmas is that it's also my best friend/sister's birthday. She has come all the way out here because I can't get out to Cali this year. Her dad usually throws her a huge birthday bash at their home but he decided that we could have it here at Carnegie Hall. 

Oh, how rude, my bestie is Bibi Jackson, you know who she is. And of course, you know her father Mr. King Of Pop himself. I've known the whole Jackson family my whole life since my dad and hers were friends before he passed. 

Opening the door we both hug tightly. " Oh, I've missed you, Bib's! " 

" Me too, I can't believe it has been three months! I've been so busy. " She says pulling back to walk into the house. " Where's my goddaughter? " 

Shaking my head I say, " she's at Linda's having some grandma time and giving me a little break. And I don't see your man, Mrs. Myers. " 

She smiles that huge smile and says, " he's in a meeting with Lorne. Something about maybe doing Wayne's World Three. It sucks that Xiu isn't here though, I miss her. Oh well at least you can see the cute outfits I got her in Paris. "

It sucks that Mike couldn't make it. We all always have so much fun together. " We can do that later come on, we have an appointment to get to. " 

<>

Once we leave the beauty shop feeling like a million dollars it's time to head to Starbucks. This one in New York is kind of new, but we've been drinking it for years and the whole world thinks it's brand new. On the way past a newsstand, a magazine catches my eye. This guy!  

" Bib's look! It's him again! " I say pointing to the magazine

Not only do I refer to this man as a stalker, but she has had this thing for him since she saw him in Dead Man a few months ago. When I say stalker, I mean he has been popping up wherever we are since we both got to New York. 

" Oh, he is so fine! " She says eyeing the magazine.

Lord knows she'd never reach for one to take a closer look. Her relationship with the media is... Not the best. They're always following her around even now as we walk down the street. They never report anything good about her or her family and in turn, she has alienated them from any part of her life.

" Too bad you went and got married on him! " I say in fake exasperation. 

She rolls her eyes before saying, " girl that man is on an entirely different spectrum than I am. But he is pretty cool. " 

Yeah, Bibi and I used to sneak into the Viper Room back into the day. Whenever we were back home we'd have some excuse to run off to the city. It was nice for her because she spent the majority of her life in seclusion. I was technically old enough to get in but Bibi was only fifteen at the time. 

Johnny caught us the first night but was cool about it. He let us into the VIP area and kept an eye on us. Which is weirdly responsible. We met a lot of awesome people in that VIP room. River Pheonix and his brother Joquin. Manson, Alice Cooper, Joan Jett... The list goes on and on.  

" Mmhmm. " I say not believing her. 

Flipping her hair over her shoulder she says, " besides you've been single for what, almost two years now? I don't see you letting anyone in. Even though... " 

Oh no she didn't. " No! Don't even go there. Don't even say his name. " 

" You know he's single and is still madly in love with you. He tells me every time I see him. " She says smiling.

Rolling my eyes I say, " just like you know that Prince still loves you, and the only reason he married that Macchiato is to hurt you for rejecting him. " 

She shakes her head in all seriousness. " He married her because he's impatient... Whatever let's not do this right now. " She grumbles continuing down the street simultaneously changing the subject. 

Mmhmm. Prince is just as much of a sore subject for her that Slash is for me. We both loved them way too hard only to be left free-falling into the earth. But with Prince it's different. He lost a child this year and the whole world seen him crack. I think she should reach out in some way but she thinks otherwise. 

I guess it's different for her because she was never a protege of his. By the time they met she was already a prodigy and looking to create freely. He gave that to her by letting her record at Paisley Park and they even collaborated on a track. The album was amazing and now with the way things are between them... Who knows when we'll see the next one.

" There are so many things that I need to do in the next three days it's crazy. And with it being a private affair it has been set to pay per view. I wanted it to be free to everyone but they are making it hard. " She vents as we head into Starbucks.

They being the media. Where they once were welcomed to concerts and fan signings, now are forced to wait outside. It has been a war she has been fighting for over three years now. She's adamant that she'll win and I hope she does. Hell like she said, her twenty-first birthday was supposed to be broadcast worldwide for free but because the media controls most networks she's had to get creative.

It isn't easy growing up the daughter of a rock star and Bibi knows that more than anyone. I have a hard time living in the shadow of my father's memory, but she is literally in the shadow of the best performer in the world and someone they have already tried to assassinate character-wise. 

That's why we're still so close, we get each other. I know the truth of what really happened and the media can't change that with their lies. I might be a few years older but from the first day we met in ballet class, we clicked like a magnet to a fridge. We're here for each other and have been for almost twenty years. 

" Well let's just make sure you have your own film crew there and then make copies for anyone who didn't get to see it worldwide. " I suggest before ordering.

Her head shape in my direction. " Honey you're a genius! I have to call Kris! "

Kris Kardashian, the ex-wife of Robert Kardashian, has just been hired as her manager. I tried to stop her, I mean come on, she's a trophy wife. But I do have to admit that she is very connected. This is exactly why Bibi hired her. 

Not that she isn't connected, but an artist can't create and manage at the same time. Plus Kris never lets anyone tell her no. In more ways than one... But let's not get into that. I'm happy for her and Mike despite how I feel about her and Prince.