Chapter 18

Hi,

Here is chapter 18, which is dedicated to @vLadjEnNie for the cover:D

ALSO, I AM HAPPY TO ANNOUNCE THAT NOW IS THE TIME IS THE SECOND RUNNER UP IN THE FACEBOOK SHORT STORY COMPETITION :D

****

"Is that partly why you wanted to help me?"
He smiled. "That," he said, "and total infatuation."
,

MALORY P.O.V

When Connell stirred, so did I. Rubbing my eyes, I glanced up to see Connell. We were in the reception of the clinic still waiting for Ruben to wake up. Somewhere in the middle while Connell was talking to Alpha Granel, I fell asleep with my head on his lap.

"He woke up" Connell said loosening the hold he had on my waist. I got up from the couch and walked towards Ruben's room all the way smoothening my disordered black hair, while Connell continued talking in the phone.

"Hi" I said with a smile, to Ruben, when I found him trying to sit on the bed. "Careful" I said when he winced in pain.

"What happened to me?" he asked me, his voice groggy.

"Your brother hypnotized you and...." I said and chewed on my bottom lip.

"And?" Ruben probed, his hazel eyes anxious.

"My m-mate attacked you"

"That makes sense" he groaned. "How come I am not dead?" he muttered and closed his eyes shut in pain.

"The doctor said you should take complete rest and not to shift for a week" I said ignoring his earlier remark.

"Uh-huh" Ruben nodded lifting and dropping his shoulders.

"And he said you are quite weak too" I said and Ruben opened his eyes and frowned.

"I am not weak" he said clearly embarrassed by my remark. "I am as strong as an ox" he boasted and even flashed me a smile.

"Yeah... I could see that" I mocked.

"Hey... I didn't fight back because the Alpha is your mate or else I would have definitely taken him down" Ruben bragged.

"Really?" I asked raising my brows.

"Yes. I am like an epitome of strength." He said puffing his chest.

"Then do you want a rematch?" I asked and Ruben withered. "In fact I can arrange for one right here, right now" I teased. "What say Connell?" I asked and just then Connell entered the room, his narrowed eyes focused on Ruben.

Ruben's face lost all the color and he gulped audibly. He looked at me and then at Connell. "I... I was k-kidding" he stuttered. "Malory...." he whispered and turned to face me, with such a cute puppy dog face that even though I tried to maintain a straight face, I couldn't and in the end, I ended up laughing.

"Relax..." I told him grinning widely however Ruben looked ready to piss in his pants.

'Leave. I need to talk to this rogue' I jumped in surprise as I heard Connell's voice in my head. I turned to look at him with wide eyes wondering what he wanted to talk with Ruben.

'Now?' I asked nervously and Connell merely nodded. 'Okay' I said and padded towards the door.

"M-Malory?" Ruben called me fear evident in his tone as he saw me walking away.

Stopping in my tracks, I turned to face him and gave him a reassuring smile. "I'll be out" I told him ignoring Connell's frown. I didn't know what Connell wanted to talk to Ruben about but I did know that Connell wouldn't hurt Ruben.