Prologue

**A/N
I don't like authors notes so hopefully I won't have to do this often.
I don't own 'the last airbender ' all rights go to who ever made it, I do own Adrianna and the 'Guardian'.
it won't always be in the right order like the programs... just warning you.
**

Arianna's POV

Perched on one of the highest branches of a tall tree, I looked out at the sun setting over the valley. The sky a mix of orange, red and pink, I closed my eyes and allowed my body to absorb the energy of the setting sun.

When all went dark I looked up at the moon and stars, wishing that this moment of peace would never end. Then of course the screams started.

I jumped down from branch to branch, taking out my staff and ran towards the screams and now I could see flames dancing along the rooftops of a nearby village. Troops of fire nation soldiers stormed the earth kingdom village, taking surrendering men, women and children prisoner and killing the ones who fought.

I immediately ran to defend a little boy around the age of 11 or 12 that reminded me of my little brother. I air bended the incoming ball of fire away from the boy, not caring if the fire nation saw, the little boy just looked up at me in awe. I just smirked as if to say 'yeah, I'm just that awesome!'

I pulled him out if sight and knelt down infront of him to ask.

"what's your name?"

"Lee. Who are you?" he asked tilting his head to the side as if it could make the answer magically come to him.

"I'm Arianna, but you can call me Ari. I'm an air bender." 'and a fire bender' I added in my head.

" can you see your mother or father anywhere?"

"yeah, they're over there" Lee said pointing towards a couple near the edge of the village.

" go" I said "I'll make sure no one's following you"

He looked at me gratefully then ran off to his parents. I stuck to what I said and also freed most of the prisoners before being chased deep into the surrounding forest away from the flames that had spread from the rooftops to the trees. I grimaced as a burning tree hit the ground a few feet from me.

I sighed as I looked down at the crumbling, burnt ruins of what was once a village and the forest, from a cliff over looking the valley. I sat at the edge, ignoring the steep fall 1 or 2 meters away, closing my eyes I began to meditate, something I learned off the monks almost 100 years ago. Unwanted and painfull memories filled my mind.

******************** flash back

I ran down the stairs with my 10 year old brother Aang and monk Gyatso away from the prank we just set up in the meeting hall. We were gonna be in so much trouble but hey I'm 14, I still need some fun.

Aang and I hid in our shared room until we heard the satisfying squelch of one of monk Gyatso's home made pies landing on another monk's head. We decided it was safe to peak through the door to see what was going on, so we did.

That was a mistake.

We looked up to see a pie covered monk glaring down at us. Both me and Aang tried (and failed) to look as innocent as possible without giggling.

We were close as brother and sister but only because the monks let me stay, if I wasn't ment to be the Guardian, protector of the avatar the I would have been made to go to a nunnary. To be the Guardian is just like the avatar but not as strong connection to the spirit world and can only bend the element you were born in and the one before. In my case I was born into air and can also bend fire. The Guardian is in every avatar cycle and often appear as a friend, sibling or lover although we keep in the shadows, but all the Guardian stuff seemed a lifetime away.

********************flash back over

That was two years before he ran away, two years before the fire nation attacked and two years before the spirits put me in a sleep for 99 years.

I looked up at the dipping moon and realized that I spent almost the whole night in my memories. The spirits woke me up a year ago so I could get used to this time and the changes before the avatar woke up.

I remember the first words they spoke to me when I woke up. 'On this very night a year away, your brother shall awake and your destiny shall begin.'

looking up at the rising sun, I let a small smile creep onto my face.

'Today, my brother comes home'