Chapter 1

Princess Amaryllis of Galitian was the third child and second daughter of the King. She was not a child of the Queen. Therefore, she was an extra pawn on the board for the King's game of chess.

And she knew that. She was far from foolish and recognized her place at the castle. As much as she despised the royal politics, she still understood it. That's why she made sure to stay in the background, out of the way, burrowed away in the library. Out of sight, out of mind, as her wizened hand maiden would always say. Occasionally, she opened the windows of the library, to let the books breathe and discourage the ever persistent mold. 

Or perhaps she did it too regularly, she thought as she caught sight of the man below the window. He was dressed modestly, like an everyday gardener in the royal gardens. Amaryllis watched warily as the man looked up and greeted her with a jovial, "'Ello, princess."

She was glad for the little light the setting sun gave her for inspecting him. The man had hands calloused enough to be the hands of a gardener. But, then again, there were many occupations that could lead to calloused hands, including sword-wielding. The man's face was marked by life, telling her quite plainly that he was far older than her, by a decade or maybe even two. Unfortunately, the age looked handsome on this man. The boys her age were still learning how to grow facial hair but this man had a beard and mustache black as night, trimmed neatly to outline his sharp jaw. His eyes were dark and intelligent, with almost a teasing glint as he looked back at Amaryllis. The gardeners she saw were always hale and hearty. They had plenty of work to keep them from falling out of shape. But this man's musculature was sculpted, purposeful, like the castle's guards. Or her father's spies. 

"Hello," she responded, perhaps a beat late, "Are you a gardener?"

"Course I am," a tinge of humor in his voice, "What else would I be?"

"Of course," Amaryllis echoed, every inch of her shouting to retreat. "Well, I shan't hover. Good day, sir." Amaryllis pulled the windows closed but as she moved back she felt heat on her back and a whisper of a breath touched her neck. Amaryllis opened the window again and asked the man impatiently, "Is this fellow a friend of yours?" 

The man smirked, far too pleased with himself, "Hardly a friend but more a subordinate."

Amaryllis glared at the man to distract from her fearful trembling. "What do you want?"

"Just your cooperation, dear princess," the man said, "We won't hurt a single hair on your head if you simply comply."

"And what makes you think I won't simply scream," Amaryllis challenged, though a tremor made it into her voice. 

"I think the question is, if I'm here, dear princess, and my man is there, then who will hear you scream? Surely, your guards wouldn't have simply allowed him to walk in if they were present. And from my perspective, there nigh a soul in this entire garden." He reached up, slow enough to remind her that she was not allowed to deny his touch, and gently pulled her lip away from her worrying teeth.

She smacked his hand away, unable to stand the feeling of this man touching her. "My father would pay no ransom for me of all people. You'd be better off with a maid."

"We know that. Simply cooperate, dear princess. And you will return to your room By dawn."

Amaryllis asked bitterly, "How can I believe the word of a criminal?"

"I am no criminal, dear princess," the man snapped his fingers and a gag was being tied between her teeth, "I am a villain."

She glared at him hatefully while her arms were tied behind her back.

The villain appeared disgustingly satisfied to watch her be tied into submission. "Careful of her wrists," he warned his subordinate, "Dainty things'll snap like a twig."