Chapter 14

Amaryllis was saved from trying to break the tension by Lady Wolff.

"My dears," she swept in, pecking Amaryllis on the cheek and squeezing Darius' shoulder before turning to Prince Kalith. "Who is this fine young man?"

He bowed, "I am Prince Kalith of Oparion, my Lady. It's a pleasure to meet you."

"No, the pleasure is all mine," she offered him her hand to kiss. "I had no idea we had a visiting prince. We must have tea. I do love hearing about the state of our neighbors."

"Of course, my Lady," Prince Kalith said obligingly. "I would be honored. Would it be too presumptuous to ask you to extend an invitation to Amaryllis as well? There's nothing more delightful than having tea with new and old friends."

"Of course," Lady Wolff said, but not without sending Amaryllis a questioningly glance, "My dear girl is always welcomed."

Prince Kalith smiled, said his goodbyes, then excused himself to make his rounds around the rooms. Amaryllis' eyes followed him for as long as he took to get out of earshot. Then she patted Darius shoulder like an owner commending their dog. "Thank you for not making a scene."

Daruis sniffed pretentiously, "I don't argue with brats."

"Well, good, I'm glad."

Lady Wolff asked, "You and Prince Kalith are friends?"

Amaryllis almost snorted. She only stopped because of how unladylike it would be and the people she was surrounded with. "No, unfortunately, I have no idea what he meant by 'old friends.' He did visit my home once, but I don't recall actually interacting with him."

"But he called you a friend and used your name quite intimately." Lady Wolff eyed the man, almost as displeased as Darius.

"He must have some sort of ulterior motive," Amaryllis offered. "Some sort of vendetta against Darius maybe."

Darius huffed a laugh, "You're very optimistic, my dear."

"I simply believe that there's a deeper reason for him behaving this way. Who would waste their affection on me?"

"Amy, my darling girl," Darius wrapped an arm around her shoulder, "You are worth all the affection in the world. Don't ever doubt that."

Amy grimaced at him. "That's a far-reaching statement."

"But very true," Lady Wolff injected. "Only a fool would miss how remarkable you are."

Amaryllis grunted noncommittally and examined the room to avoid the eyes of her two companions. Crux and Reni were across the room, still talking and seeming to enjoy themselves. Unlike the three of them standing in their small group in the corner of the room.

Darius said out of nowhere, "Where's the john? I have to piss like a horse."

"Goodness gracious," Amaryllis sighed while Lady Wolff stifled a giggle. "That does not need to be announced."

"But do you know where the john is?"

"No, I do not."

"Fine, I guess I'll have to find it on my own." Darius walked off with a slightly drunken pep in his step.

Amaryllis watched his warily, hoping that he wouldn't make trouble in the five minutes that he was going to spend out of her sight. She wasn't sure he could handle it. Crux might know if he could. And if he couldn't, Crux could go after him. She turned to look for the couple again and found her view blocked by a young man standing in front of her.

He was rather short compared to most of the men in attendance, but his shoulders were wide, and his biceps strained the confounds of his ill-fitting gray suit. His skin was a warm bronze that made his dark, almost black eyes stand out. His hair was longer than was preferred in this country. It was long and curly and pulled into a ponytail.